Can anyone build me a Stirling engine for a BBQ rotisserie?

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
JCal98

Can anyone build me a Stirling engine for a BBQ rotisserie?

Postby JCal98 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:40 pm

I'm aware the idea isn't particularly new, but as part of a school project I am to build a rotisserie attachment powered by a Stirling engine to fit onto a Weber kettle style barbecue. The plans for the product as a whole are more or less complete, the only real issue left is the Stirling engine itself, I've searched for weeks and all the Stirling engines I've found online are too small and very expensive for what I intend to use it for.
Pretty much I need a Stirling engine that will fit into a space of around 100x250x350mm (dimensions can be adjusted if necessary) and for it to be able to be connected to a gear system to lower the RPM of the actual food skewer itself. It would need to be resistant of fairly high temperatures of course and the higher the RPM the better. The actual capabilities of the engine really don't have to be that impressive and it doesn't have to be pretty, just as long as it works to a degree.
I don't have very much engineering experience and as a student I don't have access to great excesses of funds, so if someone would be able to assist me in constructing such a Stirling engine or directing me to some relatively simple plans that I could use to construct one myself it would be much appreciated.
I live in the UK, I've got a couple of months to finish the project and if someone is willing to be as kind as to build one i would be more than happy to accommodate payment.

Many thanks.

Ian S C

Re: Can anyone build me a Stirling engine for a BBQ rotisserie?

Postby Ian S C » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:05 am

I'm a bit far away to be much help, but I wish you well. If this project is for school, do you have use of the school metal workshop, and a lathe?
This is a BETA type motor, that would power a barbecue, the power cylinder is 2 1/4/58 mm bore, and it has a power stroke of 1 1/4"/ 33 mm, and a displacer stroke of 1 3/4"/ 45 mm. The legs are cast iron and came off an old electric stove. The two flywheels are about 160 mm diameter and 24 mm across the rims.
Ian S C
[img]
Test%20070%20(640x480).jpg
[/img]
Attachments
Test 070 (640x480).jpg
Test 070 (640x480).jpg (236.89 KiB) Viewed 25 times

JCal98

Re: Can anyone build me a Stirling engine for a BBQ rotisserie?

Postby JCal98 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:48 pm

Thanks anyway, yes I have got access to the school workshop however metal working is fairly limited but there is a lathe and welding facilities as well as rough cutting tools for thin metal sheets. I did forget to mention that the engine I'm looking for would be a beta type so thank you for showing me that particular example, I may have to build something similar if possible.

Return to “Stirling and "Hot Air" Engine Forum”