1000hp Stirling?

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
dreese

1000hp Stirling?

Post by dreese »

I read somewhere that there was a Stirling engine that was rated up to 1000 horsepower, but despite searching all over, I cannot find a thing about it. Anybody know anything?

If I had to take a wild guess, I'd think it might be the one that powered that Kockums submarine...
Ian S C

Re: 1000hp Stirling?

Post by Ian S C »

Hi Dreese, I think you'd be pushing your luck to find anything above200-300hp. Ian S C
Bluechip

Post by Bluechip »

They are used to drive submarines ...

http://www.stirlingengines.org.uk/manuf ... /subm.html

No expert on such matters, but I would think 1000 bhp or more would be required.

Dave
Ante

Post by Ante »

Gotland class submarine has 2 X 75 kW that gives speed of 5 knots

Salute
Ante
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

not too sure, but I think one of the major powers is at least investigating Stirling Engines for submarines, to replace at least some of their nuclear powered ones, mind you nuclear powered Stirling Engines might be quieter that steam turbines that they currently use. Ian S C
Ante

Post by Ante »

All stirling engines on submarines are not heated by reactors, they are used on small AIR INDEPENDENT PROPULSION submarines and they are fueled by fuel oil and oxygen under water.

Gotland class submarine is biggest of that type but I am not sure.

Salute!
Ante
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Ante, I was just thinking out loud, talking about nuclear subs, but a small nuclear heat source could replace the diesel and oxygen of the Kocken subs, something similar to that proposed for Stirling Engined used in space, then again we don't know, that could be happening now, nobody's going to come on here and tell us. Ian S C