Sterling plus Rocket stove

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Rondil

Sterling plus Rocket stove

Post by Rondil »

I have been tossing an idea about in my head now for a week or two. I have done a fair amount of research into the concept but still have no idea whether its feasible or not. I think it is but I am going to put it to you guys to see if it is workable.

I have been looking into building a rocket stove. I actually built one but I am looking to make it more usable. A rocket stove uses high air flow to make a wood based fire burn much hotter and more efficiently. Temperatures can reach 1400 degrees I am told. Because its so efficient it has very little pollution which is a plus. Rocket stoves can be built that have an automatic feed for fuel so you wouldn't have to constantly feed the thing.

After reading about the sterling cycle I wondered if the two could be mated to run a generator head. A typical 5k generator head requires 10hp. It takes about 2 hp for each 1k of power generated. I have a small house and 5k will run what I need. I also have a creek that I can use for cooling.

However looking at Ebay and Google searches all I see are toys except for the big sterling made by that outfit in Pakistan which does not have the power needed. Plus there are some companies making them but they give out no information which isn't a help. I was hoping for off the shelf components to keep the cost down. In my research I have found references to sterling’s that run airplanes and even cars so I know it is feasible to build higher power sterling’s. BUT can one that size be build economically. I am beginning to wonder if I am wasting my time.

If someone could make one they could sell a ton of them to Peppers.
fullofhotair

Re: Sterling plus Rocket stove

Post by fullofhotair »

I had the same thought awhile back. I believe the 2 are an excellant match. Cooling is almost as important as heating. I thought you could run a water radiator to the frigid outside for cooling the stirling engine.I believe you would have to build the size machine you want or have deep pockets. Keep in mind all I have built are smaller model engines.I always thought the rockets stoves seperate combustion chamber would be a perfect place to set a stirling engine. The reburning of the flue gas gets extremely hot as you pointed out.
Chriske

Post by Chriske »

Hi,

Not a rocket stove but I think this one is a very powerful device imo.

Chris
Mijn thuis is waar mijn draaibank staat...
Chriske

Post by Chriske »

Chriske wrote:Hi,

Not a rocket stove but I think this one is a very powerful device imo.

Chris
Oops...!

I forgot to add the link... :eyeroll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LOcyjZthsg

Chris
Mijn thuis is waar mijn draaibank staat...
fullofhotair

Post by fullofhotair »

I was attempting to use a small wood gasification stove as a heat source. They work great when they do work but are too touchy. I built a rocket stove then added an after burner or simply a stove pipe with holes at the bottom and top, inside the flue. Its works fantastic. What a synergy!