James G. Rizzo Stirling Engine Manual at Aussie libraries

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Hopper

James G. Rizzo Stirling Engine Manual at Aussie libraries

Post by Hopper »

Seems like a lot of people are looking for this book - it is probably the best introduction to Stirlings the Noob can read.
But other than the odd copy sold on here, it is prohibitively expensive.

For anyone in Australia, you local city library can inter-library loan a copy for you.
State Library of Victoria has both Volume 1 and 2 and will send it to your local library if requested. It costs about $16 for the fee.
Only trouble is, you are not allowed to take it out of the library. Have to read it there, or pay to photo copy it.
Because the book is long out of print, you are allowed under the copyright act to copy as much as you want for research and study purposes, including private study and research by any individual.

The State Library of Tasmania has a copy of Volume 2 only, but they allow you to take it home for three weeks from your local library.

All you have to do is put in an inter library loan request at your local city or council library. If they come back with a blank stare, quote them the reference numbers and National Libraries of Australia numbers from these webpages:
http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/22127793?s ... BD12248710
http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/22127793?q ... d=44305981

If the librarian gives you any guff about copying an out of print book, the Copyright Act 1969 and the Ausralian Copyright Council are the two standard references. It absolutely is allowed, and for private researchers, not just students or academics.
Ian S C

Re: James G. Rizzo Stirling Engine Manual at Aussie librarie

Post by Ian S C »

There's a shop in England ("Camden Miniature Steam Services" I think is the name), I got my vol 1 there, quite a while ago, they may still have some. A reprint would be good. There is/was another book, a paperback "Modelling Stirling and Hot Air Engines", it has most of vol 1 of the "Stirling Engine Manual".
Ian S C