Philips MP1002CA Stirling Engine

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Turaco

Philips MP1002CA Stirling Engine

Post by Turaco »

Hi Everybody!

This is my first post in this forum. I have been doing a bit of research and have found out that the funny thing from my Dad's garage is a Philips MP1002CA Stirling engine. OK, I knew he had a Stirling engine because he occasionally spoke about it. Now I have done some research and found out that it is very interesting! Not only that, I also found out that there were probably only about 150 of these engines made by Philips. So I have one of them!

I am looking for help in finding out more about the engine. I want to get it running but I want to know what to be careful about - I don't want to damage anything!

I found an operating manual on the internet, so that should make things easier for me.

Other than that I am here to learn and to share the fun associated with these things.

Is anybody interested in purchasing this engine from me?

Thank you,

Turaco
theropod2

Re: Philips MP1002CA Stirling Engine

Post by theropod2 »

OMG!!

You lucky person!

Don't do much of anything to the engine until you have a service manual in hand. Seriously. The tolerances on this jewel might be very tight...

There are folks around that know this treasure inside and out. If it doesn't even run it is a find to dance about. I dream of finding an old Errickson/Rider Stirling pump.

Sigh.

Again, congrats on the Phillips!

R
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Turaco, after your introduction thread I left a little note, saying that you can get a "Directions For Use" pamphlet as a free down load, I can't remember the web site, but once you'r on google, it won't be hard to find, its 20 pages, and tells you most of what you need to know. That thing is valuable. Ian S C
vamoose

Post by vamoose »

An awesome inheritance. You have one of about 150 ever made (which your aware of). I hope you come to appreciate what a privilege it is to be the custodian of such an engine.

Starting prior to ww2, Philips did intense research and made some amazing advancements on these engines, primarily motivated by a key, few individuals in their company. They did a limited production run of these engines back in around 1963 and then decided that they hadn't advanced the technology quite enough to make it an economically viable generator at the time. It was designed to power radio sets from multiple liquid fuel supplies (but primarily kerosine), but the advent of new low power electronics at about the same time changed energy requirements and sunk this little beauty back into obscurity.
They ended up donating most of them to universities and educational institutions all around the world, to help further the engines long term development.

Here's a link to a pdf of the factory engine manual (which you seem to already have).
http://www.oldengine.org/members/croft/ ... 1002CA.pdf

Here's a video from a member of the forum that also has one, who's named- EtudeSt
look him up, he might be able to help you out...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD5FbmnxrrU[/youtube]

There is a book worth reading called- 'The Philips Stirling Engine' by- C. M. Hargreaves (who was involved with Philips)
It costs from about $500 - $1000 if you can even find one for sale. I got a copy on a short term loan from a university for $16 using Australia's inter library loan system. It was one of only 2 available in Australia and was very luck that they even allowed me to borrow it. If you have such a system available to you in your country then I recommend you try and find this book. It is totally amazing.

Here are some old Stirling Engine research videos by Philips that you might enjoy..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqIapDKtvzc[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFfMruoRMGo[/youtube]

Also here's a NASA video that I recommend anyone into Stirling engines should watch..
allot of NASA's early Stirling Engine research comes from the original Philips research team.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_Vnxapd5fs[/youtube]

vamoose
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Which type of motor do you have, the kerosene(paraffin in UK) has a different jet in the fuel injector, and requires preheating before light up. The petrol(gas in the USA) has a smaller jet, and can be directly lit.
Ian S C
Triangle.Stirling

Post by Triangle.Stirling »

Wow, that is a very nice barnfind!
Of course we'd like to see photo's !

It must be very cool to have one of the Philips engines. Does somebody know if there are such engines located in the Netherlands?

Krijn
fullofhotair

Post by fullofhotair »

Didn't the Philips engine use pressurized helium or hydrogen as the working gas ? That must be gone by now? What do you do just run atmospheric ?
Hawke

Post by Hawke »

Ran across this Philips video today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9UKu-AP ... EFF6A7786F
What we need is a More Heat or More cold, and Less Friction or Better Air Seals ...and an Aspirin!
Sripto Vu-Lighter Historian http://www.thehawkeco.com
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

fullofhotair, the Philips motor used air at 200 psi, the frame around the motor is used as the receiver, and the stored air is used for starting, if there's no air, the motor could be started with a rope(like a lawn mower), or the motor could be pumped up manually. Ian S C
fullofhotair

Post by fullofhotair »

Ian SC,
So if it uses 200psi Air , should you pump it up to that pressure before starting it?
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Yes there is a valve to take a car tire pump. Ian S C
vwhebing

Post by vwhebing »

Hi Turaco,

Are you still interested in selling your Philips MP1002CA engine/generator?

If so, please e-mail me at vwhebing@yahoo.com and let me know where you are located (country, state/province, etc) and your asking price.

Please put the e-mail subject as "Philips MP1002CA" so I know the e-mail is not spam.

Thanks! Congratulations on the great find!

-Chris
nick55

Post by nick55 »

Hi Turaco,

In case this is still for sale I would be interested to know more. Please email be at nikolay.nikolov@bulventures.com and we can take it from there.
Thanx,
Nick