0Consultants/Advisors for large scale LTD Stirling Engine?

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
TomHughes

0Consultants/Advisors for large scale LTD Stirling Engine?

Post by TomHughes »

I work for a company based in Somerset. We are looking at developing a large scale LTD Stirling engine for off grid power generation, most likely for the non-UK market. We are fortunate enough to have some ringfenced R&D budget for this, but are looking for expertise and for consultants who will be able to assist us in the design and development phase. We would also be very interested in speaking with people who may also have a working prototype, and are looking for an investment partner.

If you think you might be able to help,then drop me a line at:glastonburystirlingengine@gmail.com

Many thanks

Tom Hughes
vamoose

Re: 0Consultants/Advisors for large scale LTD Stirling Engin

Post by vamoose »

Here's one suggestion Tom,

http://www.bsrsolar.com/sv/produkte3_e.html

Sunpulse, 'Big'-Stirling engine.. Beta configuration that uses a rolling sock for the power piston seal. It's claimed (by some) to be capable of producing up to 2kW continuous output,
Which is extremely impressive for a non pressurized LTD Engine.

I'm not sure if they have gone past the prototype and demonstration phase so far....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMMELH7CSNE[/youtube]

vamoose

btw- do you have a website or blog? As I'm sure that some of us stirling nut cases will be interested in seeing how you progress...
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Tom, you may have already seen it, but I suggest you look up the Canterbury (NZ) University site on the development of a large LTD Stirling Engine, not too sure how far on it has developed, it will give you some ideas.
Ian S C
TomHughes

Post by TomHughes »

Thanks Guys, have seen the SunPulse, and will try to get in touch with them. The NZ guys were not very encouraging! Many thanks.

Tom
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

You will have difficulties getting information from any commercial company, or anyone with possible commercial connections, for obvious reasons, so you must pick out any ideas you can, from where you can. The only engines that you will get full information are relatively low tech, you can get information from people like Andy Ross in the USA, but no doubt you have that info all ready. Ian S C
fullofhotair

Post by fullofhotair »

If you really want to produce some electricity is an LTD your best choice ? They are so massive for the out put they produce. Wouldn't it be better to put a little more into your solar collector and generate some higher temps. Maybe use a pressurized stirling engine.