2-cylinder Gamma - project

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
tomostre

Re: 2-cylinder Gamma - project

Post by tomostre »

displacer friction is easy to test - disconnect one from the crank, lift it and see if it drops under its own weight. When you say it does not run, does it "try" to run? (i.e. turn a couple of turns and stop) I would think something is leaking air - something that dried and shrunk during your demo. Again, move the displacer by hand and see how the membrane reacts.
Triangle.Stirling

Post by Triangle.Stirling »

Thank you tomostre! It's running now!

I knew that the displacer should drop under it's own weight, and it did. The engine did try to run, it eventually started at 280 rpm's, and gradually decreased till it stood still.

The thing about leaking air was the problem. I tested with a little flame at the sides, and then moved parts. When there is some air coming from between the plates, the flame will 'move'.
This didn't happen, but i decided to test how tight het bolts were.
They were a bit loose, and after tightening the bolts, it was perfect, so now its running again :cool:
Triangle.Stirling

Currently a 9:40 min. Video is uploading to YouTube...
It will take a long time, because it's a big file, and internet connection is slow, but it will come.

Stay tuned !
larsinist

Post by larsinist »

i build this engine of the parts from the first,it became much better,and a little faster
[BBvideo 425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvyLiPLu6po[/BBvideo]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvyLiPL ... vyLiPLu6po[/youtube]

how to i get it to go faster?
Triangle.Stirling

And the video is online!

The video shows the starting up of the engine, a great bit of constant speed running and a top speed (this time) of 420 rpm.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE_bODcIU_0[/youtube]

Hope you enjoy the video, and we'd like to hear what you think.
Triangle.Stirling

Engine has a few running hours on it so far.
Runs really great, at about 350 rpm it runs at it's best, with a constant speed.

I have plans for making another crankshaft. I purchased a drill press and a tap/cutting set. So i can make threads in all the parts of the crankshaft, so i get a stronger, straigher crankshaft.

Also I'm now planning to make a better cooling system. I'm getting a piece of car brake-line, thats nice copper pipe, with thick walls, but it can be bend easily. I think i can make a nice cooling system with that. I'm not sure yet what i want to make. It would be nice when there is no extra power needed, but that's a bit difficult. Maybe i add a electric pump, or mechanical pump, that would be cooler, and then i don't have to put in extra energy.

Also i want to do some work with the engine. has anybody idea's what i can make? I'm thinking of making it a generator, but need to find an electric motor for that. Then i could make a usb port to charge a mobile phone.
Another idea is to make the engine ride. That's more difficult, the axles are 90 degrees turned, so i have to make gears for that. Then i want to add wheels to the side, and then it should roll.
I don't know if that's possible, the engine is around 10 kg's.

Idea's enough, only time...

what do you think of the engine? Any other suggestions?
larsinist

Post by larsinist »

Boat bi-cycle,i have been thinking alot on putting a 3 cylinder engine in a small row-boat!!
Do you have the drawings/measurments for the machine?
theropod2

Post by theropod2 »

Triangle.Stirling ,

If you use copper tube there's a trick to bending it without kinks.

Fine loose dry sand.

Plug both ends of the tube with a wooden dowel shaved to fit very tight. Plug one end and then fill the tube with the sand. Leave enough room to plug the other end. Tight bends can then be carried out without kinking or collapse. When the final form is reached unplug both ends and drain the sand. This is an old moonshiner trick for making the coil. They simply wrapped the copper tube around a tree and cut the tree down above the coil.

R
Triangle.Stirling

@larsinist:

Yeah, boat or bicycle would be really cool, but i don't think we have enough power for that (at least not yet).
First thing i'm going to do is improve the cooling.
Engine can now run for a long time at 250 rpm, with a steady temperature of 70 degrees C at the upper half of the cylinder.
When i put more heat under it the temperature at the upper half will gain too much, so more cooling is needed, and will come.

A row boat or something would be very cool, especially because we have lot's of water overhere. I live in the Netherlands, and there's much water here. I haven't done any measurements yet, can anybody guess what power the engine has? Or what is is capable of, when fine-tuned better?

I have drawings for the engine, it is designed using Solidworks. However, we're not yet sharing these plans freely.

@theropod2

I heard about that technique, i will try making a nice cooling system, but haven't got the right pipe yet. Any idea's or advice for mechanical pump/electrical pump or thermosyphon effect?

General question:

The pipes for the displacer rod (how do you call them?) are now from aluminium, but that rubs a lot. Is brass or copper better, and why?
Triangle.Stirling

@larsinist:

Yeah, boat or bicycle would be really cool, but i don't think we have enough power for that (at least not yet).
First thing i'm going to do is improve the cooling.
Engine can now run for a long time at 250 rpm, with a steady temperature of 70 degrees C at the upper half of the cylinder.
When i put more heat under it the temperature at the upper half will gain too much, so more cooling is needed, and will come.

A row boat or something would be very cool, especially because we have lot's of water overhere. I live in the Netherlands, and there's much water here. I haven't done any measurements yet, can anybody guess what power the engine has? Or what is is capable of, when fine-tuned better?

I have drawings for the engine, it is designed using Solidworks. However, we're not yet sharing these plans freely.

@theropod2

I heard about that technique, i will try making a nice cooling system, but haven't got the right pipe yet. Any idea's or advice for mechanical pump/electrical pump or thermosyphon effect?

General question:

1 The pipes for the displacer rod (how do you call them?) are now from aluminium, but that rubs a lot. Is brass or copper better, and why?
2 Any more ideas for letting the engine do useful work? It's not that powerful, and i'd like to do it some mechanical work..
larsinist

Post by larsinist »

Hei i love your engine
Brass and copper are more round, and have less mechanichal resistanse!!.i could said some more, but i dont know the english words for it!!
i am soon finished with one sylinder on my 2 cylinder stirling, i will also upload it here.
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

The tube that the displacer rod passes through is called a gland. The best materials for it are bronze, brass, or cast iron. Or it could be made of any metal, with a lining of Teflon/PTFE. I often use a Carbon impregnated Teflon for these bushes. It needs to be fairly long, with a lose but nearly air tight fit.
Aluminium, and copper are poor bearing metals. The only metal that should be used against each other as a bearing, or sliding surface is cast iron, other metals, steel on steel etc., tend to cause high friction, causing galling. Also cast iron requires minimal extra lubrication.
Ian S C
Triangle.Stirling

Thank you Ian for your answer! I knew aluminium was not the best material for this, but it was the only thing available then.
I'm going to look for a brass piece there.

I assume there is no problem to use a stainless steel rod through a brass gland?
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

The stainless rod is ideal. Sometimes I use stainless tube for the rod, its lighter in weight. If the rod needs polishing, rub it length wise. Ian S C
Triangle.Stirling

Finally made a video about how we built our Engine

Check it out! If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP9tpjEA8PM[/youtube]

I've had no time to do further improvements on the engine, however i did a few tests.
The engine runs much better with the warmer weather we have now in the Netherlands.

That's sort of strange, it would have expected that it must run less, because of a lower temp. difference. I think it's the heat leaking away that causes it runs better with warmer weather.
It can now run on alcohol burners, in the winter it wouldn't start with that.

Greetings,

Krijn