3D printed stirling engine

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Chriske

3D printed stirling engine

Post by Chriske »

Hi,

Again about 3D printing, but this time a project I found on the internet.
this site gives you a full description how to make a LTD printed Stirling engine.
Together with a few friends we're busy building a few 3D-printers. lots of fun btw. This very moment about 2 of these self made printers are operational and running in my workshop. Some fine tuning and a of course a learning process is required. In a few weeks I hope to print my first Stirling. I expect no problems at all. This model has even a regenerator.
We work with prusa i2 machines. We use no support material, so some part have to be redrawn because of lack of support material. But that is no problem, I'm used to work in 3D software.
Only 5 parts are non printed parts. The rest can be printed in ABS or PLA.

When my first LTD is running I'll post some comments and pictures.

Here's another one, not a stirling engine but a nicely running oscillating steam engine :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4aNMrflTO0

weird isn't it...?

Chris
Mijn thuis is waar mijn draaibank staat...
Ian S C

Re: 3D printed stirling engine

Post by Ian S C »

Chris, thanks, I'll be looking for the results of this, what ever you get it beats tin can hands down.
Ian S C
Chriske

Re: 3D printed stirling engine

Post by Chriske »

I know off topic, sorry guys, still...

Something I forgot to mention about these printers. Maybe, just maybe someone got interested... :wink:
Cost for a selfmade 3D-printer, depending where you buy your hardware : between 300 and 400 € (400 to 450 USD).
This printer will print objects about 190x190x120 mm (8"x8"x4.5")
How to build these things : tons of info to be found on the internet and is very easy.

To be clear : I'm no distributer or selling these printers. I do not have any profit what so ever.
We're just a bunch of guys having tons of fun, building and using these devices in our workshop.
These printers stand side by side with my lathes, milling machine, drillpresses, and all other powertools. To us such a printer, it's just another 'powertool'..!

As a matter of fact, I'm planning to build me another 'printer' and replace the extruder (hot end) by a Dremel or other small powertool. That is the second important reason why I posted this topic. These printers use the same technique, hard- and software as mechanical CNC machines do. Software is free.

Chris
Mijn thuis is waar mijn draaibank staat...