Tin can stirling with 222 rpm,and need help to get more rpm

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
larsinist

Tin can stirling with 222 rpm,and need help to get more rpm

Post by larsinist »

[video 425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbYhayf ... e=youtu.be[/video]I have now got my can box stirling to 222RPM,and i need some help to get it faster, i have a zig zag rod at the diaphragm"see picture", so if i remove the sig sag, and use a straight rod, that is lighter,will the diaphragm produce more power to the flywheel shaft???,and i can also cut the screw in the diaphragm,to make it even lighter,will it help me with more rpm,s??

[[BBvideo 425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbYhayf ... e=youtu.be[/BBvideo]
Attachments
dia.jpg
dia.jpg (32.6 KiB) Viewed 4977 times
larsinist

Re: Tin can stirling with 222 rpm,and need help to get more

Post by larsinist »

This is my diaphragm, and can i cut nr:2 and use a lighter rod on:1,will it help the rpm?
Attachments
dia2.jpg
dia2.jpg (29.34 KiB) Viewed 4974 times
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

You are doing quite good at that, but it is always worth trying for more, only change one thing at a time, see if it works, if it does not you can change back. Yes put in straight con rods, I think they will be better as they will as well as being lighter, they will be more ridged. You could try cooling with ice. See that the bearings have as little friction as possible. Try different flywheels, ie., different diameters, and weights.
Ian S C
larsinist

Post by larsinist »

Thank you, i will try today, i will make a video later,and about the cooling,shall i cool down half of of the displacer can?,or less?
will a bigger flywheel give me more rpm,and/or torq?
This is a mix of my first and second stirling,so i will get better!
larsinist

Post by larsinist »

[video 425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQCFMF81zYU[/video]i think i have maxed the RPM today,got about 324RPM.the displacer wire cant do faster i think, so no i will start building the next one, but shall i use a ballon diaphragm or a piston diaphragm,to make the next one go faster*??
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

With the displacer, heat one third, cool one third, and leave the third in between, this is where the air transitions between hot and cold<-- -->. You might find that your diet will change, so that you can get the right sized cans. :eyeroll: :laugh: Ian S C
grantr

Post by grantr »

You can easily exceed 300 rpms. I just fished a walking beam that runs 1050rpm with a small alcohol wick burner. I used dimension Leandro Wagner posted on youtube for the important parts. Search Manual do Motor Stirling - Leandro Wagner

Coke can cut to 85mm tall cylinder head pressed in 15 mm deep. only about 5mm is actually pressed. Displacer loosely wrapped steel wool 35mm tall with 20mm stroke. Power diaphragm 12 inch balloon fitted on a 2 inch diameter pvc pipe fitting reduced to 3/4 inch or 20mm inside diameter pipe. the 20mm id pipe is glued to the can.

Under a load the engine turned 7 to 800 rpms driving a weather radio or some led lights. I am going to get a video up on youtube soon.

The motor does need a water pump as it gets hot it slows some. It will go a little over 1100 with ice. I think fine steel wool may work better than the coarser kind I have. I tired an aluminum disc displacer warped with steel wool and the engine would only run 750 rpms.

Grant
larsinist

Post by larsinist »

Thank you, but i have builded about 15 engines since that one, i have 1500rpm as maximum now,

Lars