HELP! STIRLING ENGINE PROJECT

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
sreejithpr

HELP! STIRLING ENGINE PROJECT

Post by sreejithpr »

Hi,
I want to do a design on stirling engine for my mini project this year.Almost all topics were chosen and we had to choose stirling engine.We need a simple stirling engine fan design PLAN with CAD drawings and its constructional details.It does not matter if its alpha,beta or gamma.And also the rpm calculations.If somebody has made this type of engine please help me...!! The internet is our only hope now....
Triangle.Stirling

Re: HELP! STIRLING ENGINE PROJECT

Post by Triangle.Stirling »

Hi,

You could search on Youtube for 'popcan stirling engine' . That should give nice examples, and also build tutorials. CAD drawings you wouldn't find for it.

You could look up our engine '2-Cylinder Gamma Engine - project' a little bit down the page, we also made computerdrawings for that engine.
But before you start with something like that you should build at least a popcan engine.
Beside's that, it's not really what i would call a miniproject, more a very big project, and i wouldn't start with it if you're not very motivated, and are only doing it because all the other projects were chosen. You better start with the popcan engine then, it could be hard to even get that running.

Good Luck, and we'd like to see the results of course!
sreejithpr

Post by sreejithpr »

Well in the beginning we decided to build a can stirling engine but afterwards we found out that it is not that easy to make it running as we saw in many tutorials, then we decided to submit a design of it instead of buiding it.That is why I asked CAD drawings and constructional details.I only need the drawings,constructional details and the output & input details of any type of stirling engine( preferably the BETA type) because these are strictly necessary for submitting a design instead of making a working model. So I just need to do the THEORY paper working part only and therefore only people who have built it can help.
Your project is awesome! Congratz for making such a simple and wonderful engine.I really wish to make one but we dont really have the time to do it as the semester is closing nearby. If you have done some design theory work and drawings on your project, please share it.It would be a great help. Only enthusiasts and inventors like you can help on this.Or please tell me where I could find it on the internet. Thank You for showing concern. :)
Triangle.Stirling

Post by Triangle.Stirling »

Ok, now i understand, so you're only after the paperwork now.

I'm afraid i have to disappoint you then. I don't know of an engine where all that is published.
You could search for Andy Ross' book "Making Stirling Engines' It's free available, but there are no CAD drawings there.

Our engine is designed in Solidworks. We won't publish the drawings freely now, there are still a few changes to be made, and also we'll not giving away our hard work of many hours for free. We are looking to make a nice building-plan for it, but that will be in the summer at the earliest.
We don't have any input or output measurements yet. Design theory work is also not much, and in Dutch.

Sorry i can't help you, good luck with your mini project!
trojandronepros

Post by trojandronepros »

You could try this instructables design for a gamma == http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-a ... ng-Engine/ == Although this requires copper tubes and brass rods, a solder, and a dremel. I suppose you could use a file instead of a dremel, and replace the 22mm copper tube with stainless steel to reduce thermal heat going from the hot to the cold side of the displacer cylinder. For the fan you should replace the brass rods with fan blades on the flywheel. I hope this helps!
tomostre

Post by tomostre »

find a free online copy of Andy Ross Building Stirling Engines; it will not have a solution in a box, but it will help you make your own CADs as you will have a good understanding of the thing. It is not quite 100 pages, read it in two hours.
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

I think you'll find that most engines are built to plans that remain in the builders head, rather than CAD, bits get drawn on scraps of paper, and the motor sort of just happens, very scientific---not, but the important thing is kept in mind, the ratio between the hot and cold sides of the motor. Ian S C