Solar Powered LTD Twin Stirling Engine Generator (Gamma)

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
theropod2

Re: Solar Powered LTD Twin Stirling Engine Generator (Gamma)

Post by theropod2 »

simonchan wrote:Huh? But there's no thread on the bike spoke. You mean you place the nut by putting glue?? or weld??

ON the end of the spoke that connects to the rim there should be threads and a odd shaped nut one uses to true up the rim by varying torque on the spokes.

RS
simonchan

Post by simonchan »

Oh I see. Thanks!

By the way, I will need to finish my progress report on this and prepare my semester exam. Will start fabricating it after my exams around May then. =)
simonchan

Post by simonchan »

Hi guys! It has been quite some time since the last post over here. I had started my fabrication work recently and faced another problem here.

If I plan to fabricate the crankshaft by bending it, how can I place the connecting rod bearing into the crank pin location?

Anyone?
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

When it comes to bearings on bent wire crankshafts, I can's see ball bearing races as an option. Ian S C
simonchan

Post by simonchan »

Hmm... seems like cutting the wire to make the crankshafts is a better option then... but I failed to get a Loctite silicone glue over here. How about Araldite epoxy glue or other similar glue?? The primary purpose is to have a strong glue that sticks permanently right?
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

There is a sketch of a crankshaft assembly in my gallery that may be of use to you. What general area do you live in?
To find Loctite you may have to go to an engineering supply place, or a car repair place. Super Glue might work I think. Ian S C
vamoose

Post by vamoose »

I dont like to use swear words, (too often), but,

'ebay'

vamoose
simonchan

Post by simonchan »

Ian S C: Yeah, I did noticed the sketch of crankshaft assembly in your gallery. =)
I live in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The fact is that I approached few engineering supply place and failed to get the exact 'Loctite silicone glue'. Anyway I will try out using Super Glue then. Thank you!

vamoose: Thanks for the suggestion! But personally I would prefer a cheaper alternative that serves the same function due to budget constrains. =)

By the way, any recommended motor/generator to be used especially in low speed application of LTD Stirling engine? I understands that a low KV rating will produced a higher voltage at lower RPM, but not sure which type would suits the best. Single-phase? Three-phase? BLDC motor? Alternator?

Simon Chan
simonchan

Post by simonchan »

Finalised design of my project for public reference. (except for the choice of generator)

Once my prototype is done fabricating and working, I will try to upload a video if possible.
simonchan

Post by simonchan »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx6ZbFoMvVY[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E34044uOac[/youtube]

A failed prototype. Had diagnosed this (esp. air-leak & friction) for a couple of weeks but nothing really improved.

I wonder anyone here have any thoughts? :cry: :cry: :cry:
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Simonchan, video 1, what are you heating the motor with, and is the motor only running the time of the video. The piston rors could be much lighter. Is there plenty of movement in the diaphrams.
Video 2, Can't quite see the lay out of the crankshaft, but I presume that both halves of the motor are set up to rotate in the same direction, and they are not working against each other.
Have you tried running just half the motor at a time.
Ian S C
simonchan

Post by simonchan »

For video 1, I am heating the motor with two hot plates at 190 degree Celcius. I use a string to 'start' the motor by rotating the crankshaft. And yeah I did notice the movement in the diaphragm (expansion and contraction of air), but the most it can only push the crankshaft for half revolution then stop already.

For video 2, both halves of the motor are set up to rotate in the same direction by ensuring displacer stroke leading power stroke.

Not yet tried running half of the motor... Should have try it out then... Thanks for the suggestion!