house heating system with stirling engine

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
kolcsar

house heating system with stirling engine

Post by kolcsar »

hello everybody !
I am new here.I made a stirling engine which circulate the water of house heating,wood burning boyler:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obbaveBjUuk
My youtube name is Laszlo Kolcsar.I have a lot of selfmade stirling engines.
Longboy

Re: house heating system with stirling engine

Post by Longboy »

Good Job Laszlo on back yard innovation. You put the Stirling, a water pump and radiator assemblys to aid in the comfort of your home! :idea:
Triangle.Stirling

Post by Triangle.Stirling »

Hi,

very nice build! a stirling-engine put to do useful work, you don't see it that much.

If I understand right, you have the woodfire, that heats the water for the radiators, and that water is circulated by the stirling-engine pump. That is very useful, you can then warm your whole house with that one woodfire.
Do you use it everyday in the winter, or is it just a fun project, or something. I wonder how it will do when you use it everyday.

Good luck with building, just go on!

Regards,

Krijn
kolcsar

Post by kolcsar »

Longboy wrote:Good Job Laszlo on back yard innovation. You put the Stirling, a water pump and radiator assemblys to aid in the comfort of your home! :idea:
thank you longboy,I admire your works on youtube !I have to develope this project,I want to make an engine under pressure,with aim of 50 W added electric power.I am an amator builder,my profession is psychiatrist.But I try my best :smile:
Last edited by kolcsar on Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
kolcsar

Post by kolcsar »

Triangle.Stirling wrote:Hi,

very nice build! a stirling-engine put to do useful work, you don't see it that much.

If I understand right, you have the woodfire, that heats the water for the radiators, and that water is circulated by the stirling-engine pump. That is very useful, you can then warm your whole house with that one woodfire.
Do you use it everyday in the winter, or is it just a fun project, or something. I wonder how it will do when you use it everyday.

Good luck with building, just go on!

Regards,

Krijn
Thank you !Yes,I'm using a wood fired boyler,not a simply wood stove.The boyler has 16 KW,the two radiators only 3 kw,so they can't deliver all the heat to the environment,that's why I have to cool the top of the boyler.The system needs 8 radiators,but Ihave only two.The stirling engine is using a small part of produced heat.This engine has 130 cubiccentimeter,athmospheric,but strog enough to move the water pump of the system.The engine is just a ,,prototype'',not durable.I want to improve the heat transfer surface in the hot cylinder,put the engine under pressure,with aim to produce in same time 50-100 watt electric power.
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Boiler. Laszlo, do you have any photos, I'd like to see your motor. Ian S C
stedevil

Post by stedevil »

Hello Laszlo!

I wonder, have you thought about making your own stove as well? Properly built rocket stoves reach very high temperatures (>1000 C) and literally burn everything when there is enough heat and oxygen present so there is no black sot left. That's likely very much more efficient than you current stove and at the top of the "heat riser", were the temperature is at maximum, should be the perfect spot for placing a Stirling engine.

Take a peak eg at this site.
http://www.richsoil.com/rocket-stove-mass-heater.jsp
kolcsar

Post by kolcsar »

Ian S C wrote:Boiler. Laszlo, do you have any photos, I'd like to see your motor. Ian S C
Hello Ian,the engineis disassembled,but I will assemble this soon,with a new encreased surface diisplacer cylinder,and than I will make some photos
kolcsar

Post by kolcsar »

stedevil wrote:Hello Laszlo!

I wonder, have you thought about making your own stove as well? Properly built rocket stoves reach very high temperatures (>1000 C) and literally burn everything when there is enough heat and oxygen present so there is no black sot left. That's likely very much more efficient than you current stove and at the top of the "heat riser", were the temperature is at maximum, should be the perfect spot for placing a Stirling engine.

yes,you have perfectly right.I made a very good rocket stove,it works at my sisters house,who is pensioner.I mention that,because the rocket stove needs frecvently ,20-30 minute feeding.Because I want to heat my house with a wood fired,water based(radiators),and because I am still a working man,it's inconvenient for me.because half a day I'm not at home.But i'll make a rocket mass heater,with build in ware jacket in the mass,and than it will be excelent.A friend of mine made his rocket stove based heating system,without thermal mass,but he is at home all the day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaU_fjUtbmo
Last edited by kolcsar on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
kolcsar

Post by kolcsar »

p.s.but my friend made a very good beta stirling in rocket stove
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-Wbq7wKizk
stedevil

Post by stedevil »

Looks good, unfortunately I have 0 knowledge of the Romainean language.

Re the short feeding interval of a rocketstove, I was planning to use a lot of 1.8-2.0m braches, to allow it to feed itself. But of course, long straight wood is limited, so was thinking about if one could build a long tube that would load wood into the fire. Im guessing it should probably be slightly cone shaped, the base being wider, to lower the risk of the wood getting stuck on the way.
kolcsar

Post by kolcsar »

the language is hungarian :).we are 1,5 mill. of hungarians in Romania.The rocket stove is very good,if you made a J arrangement stove,it'll feed himself.Like Janto Evans.Download his book.I learned a lot from him.
kolcsar

Post by kolcsar »

yesterday I made a little cooking rocket stove

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWNeQrg ... wbk4HxRA4A
stedevil

Post by stedevil »

Well, I guess you are the expert, but this line feels Romanian (Latin) to me, not Hungarian (Finno-Ugric) "Cea mai ieftina centrala termica cu biomasa" as well as the melody of the language spoken in your friends video. :)

In any case, what is your experience of feeding a J with long branches, does the wood/air mix remain at good proportions? Im sort of worried that allowing free movement of the branches also means less densly packed wood which would allow too much air to pass through for an optimimal burn. Perhaps separating the fuel imtake from the air inlet would be requited?

Ill take a peak on your grill once Im not on mobile without flash (thanks Adobe...)
kolcsar

Post by kolcsar »

beg your pardon,he realy is spiking in romanian in tis film :)