Pop-can engine build

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Triangle.Stirling

Pop-can engine build

Post by Triangle.Stirling »

Hi,

justed wanted to share a little project i just started. Aim is to build this in the spare free time during my current test-week. Between studying hours, and other stuff i can work on it.

Aim is to build a smooth running engine, for endurance testing. My first popcan engine ran for 70 hours, but then i let it stay, and the balloon is gone. Maybe when i put in a new one in, it will work, but my building skills and tools have also improved, time to go on and build a new version. The old engine could run on a low flame from a big tealight for about 13 hours, continual.
This version will have a few improvements:
- connecting rod instead of fishing wire.
- ball bearings, grease removed and now with sewing machine oil for smooth running.
- aluminium top-can, so the cutted edges won't rust.
- stainless steel wool displacer, just because it was left from my other engine. after 70 hours of running, the normal steelwool had nice purple colors.
- straight crankshaft, the other one was everything except straight
- smooth running, the older engine had to be taped down, otherwise it was bumping everywhere
- double flywheel for more balance
- higher RPM's, just because it's cool

overall the build quality will be much better, skills has improved the last 2 years.

anybody tips, tricks or other things that can be handy? This one has to be perfect :P

Start: Left is the cooling jacket, middle the upper part, right the displacer cylinder

Cooling jacket glued to displacer cylinder (do you call that glued? it's silicone ("kit" is a word for that sorts of things in Dutch))

Regards,

Krijn
larsinist

Re: Pop-can engine build

Post by larsinist »

I like this, i should also build a one cylinder!! this will be fun to follow..its called glue i think!!
it will be so cool to see how many rpm you get.