How do I build a Stirling cycle cryocooler?

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
jakelamant33

How do I build a Stirling cycle cryocooler?

Post by jakelamant33 »

How would I build a Stirling Cryocooler? Could I pay a shop to build me one out of scrap metal or would I have to make my own using some very high precision tools. I want to use it to liquefy nitrogen, oxygen,and hydrogen. How would I build one out of a normal high RPM Stirling Engine? Would I have to add a lot of heat Ex-changers ,and Compress the helium in the Stirling engine to 50 to 100 PSI? Should I build a Water Jacket that takes heat away from hot end of the cryocooler? Do I need a helium compressor and a radiator to radiate the heat away from the cryocooler? I am unsure what materials to use to make the cryocooler reach cryogenic temperatures.
Last edited by jakelamant33 on Mon May 26, 2014 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian S C

Re: How do I build a Stirling cycle cryocooler?

Post by Ian S C »

Hi, I'd recommend a pressurised BETA type Stirling Engine, built a bit stronger than if its to be run as a motor, weight is not so important here. Different gasses require different temperatures, and 500 to 1000 psi would be more like the pressures that you would require, and quite a bit of power from an electric motor. I think the Philips Cryocoolers use about 10hp. You should not need hydrogen or helium as the working gas, argon is easier to handle, and probably ok to 1500 psi.
If you look in my gallery you will see two motors, one is my second motor, the other my Ross Yoke motor, I drove the Ross Yoke motor with the other one, they are similar power out put, around 5Watt. The ambient temperature was 20*C, and after twenty minutes the hot cap of the Ross Yoke motor was at minus 20*C. The motor was turning at about 800rpm. With more power in you could get the temperature lower, but the Ross Yoke motor has fairly light bearings on the yoke, so I did not want to put too much stress on them.
Just a thought, if your Cryocooler is a simple build, you might get away with plain bearings in some parts, as friction is not so important. The most important part(almost forgot) is the cooling system, you will need a water jacket, and a good size radiator to extract the heat.
You'll need a lathe, and maybe a milling machine, welding and brazing gear, and a bit of cash. Best wishes, hope this is not your first Stirling Engine. Ian S C
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

I'll answer you PM here, for regenerator material you could use Stainless Steel Wool, but better than that is stainless steel foil/ shim stock.
I would recommend that you down load Andy Ross's book (its free, 68 pages if you print it out), "Making Stirling Engines".
For you gas valve, either you buy it from the gas supplier, or make your own. Ian S C
wirelessguy

Post by wirelessguy »

Today is your lucky day (well maybe...)

It just so happens that I came across this video yesterday that you might find useful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_bGkztd7t0