Made a flash light

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
larsinist

Made a flash light

Post by larsinist »

My stirling flash light..in some days i am finished with this engine, and it will be awesome, cause the water pump is driven by Peltier elements,but it melted down,so i need to gas weld it,and i am out of silver

[video 425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTsEK-N ... e=youtu.be[/video]
flash3780

Re: Made a flash light

Post by flash3780 »

Very cool! Is that a repurposed electric motor that's generating your electricity?

-Chris
larsinist

Post by larsinist »

Thank you, yea it is, now i am on my way out to the hardware store, i will make finished the water pump, it will be sooo awesome..i will use 4 peltier elements to run the waterpump..and i am thinking to build a small stirling engine, on the exhaust to run a fan, to cool down the radiator.
i will say thank you all again, cause i would never been able to do all these thing without this forum,and thanks to Ian S C for superb help.

Regards:Lars
larsinist

Post by larsinist »

i will get a little delayed, cause i got snowmobile parts, and i love my sled, winter is soon here,..btw:i build my sled myself, and i got 175hp at the dyno test.without Turbo..2 stroke engine..
thanks again...sorry for offtopic
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Larsinist, you will have really "made it" when you build a snowmobile with a xxxhp Stirling Engine :laugh:
Ian S C
flash3780

Post by flash3780 »

Lars,
Neat stuff! If you attach a positive displacement water pump to your engine, you can roughly measure engine horsepower with the flow rate and pressure head.

I think the equation is: HP = QxH/3960

-Chris
larsinist

Post by larsinist »

Thank you, i will not make a mechanical waterpump, i will use the exhaust to warm up my peltier elements, like i have done before, but i have got 2 more elements, so it will be very very nice,...the last waterpump i made could shoot water about 10cm.
this is the last water pump i filmed, i had a water pump on this machine, but the exhaust pipes melted down, now i have learned to gas weld, so it will not melt
[video 425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73CEcip_eTI[/video]

I am trying to find time, but i really need some hours on my sled..i love to ride them..

Thanks again,i get motivated by this forum

Best regards from:Lars

And here is a little movie we made of our snowmobile riding, its steep mountans..
[video 425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5L44jRSd2s[/video]

sorry for offtopic, but i am trying to tell why i dont can build so fast now...
flash3780

Post by flash3780 »

Lars,
Two things:
1. The engine with the water pump is very neat. I wonder if you'd get more power out of it if you ran the water across the cold end.
2. The snowmobile movie is amazing and looks so fun. I can see why you can't wait for winter.

-Chris
larsinist

Post by larsinist »

Thanks again.

Atm i am out of sled parts, so i think i will build the power source to the water pump tomorrow, a friend is on his way to me, and he have some brass pipes, that i need to make/repair the power-source.i am also thinking that i should build another stirling engine on the exhaust to run the fan to the radiator, so the water will cool down better.i have all plans in my head.the dynamo is charging 5v,and that is ok.i have not measured the amps yet.but it not so imoprtant at this stage.i will also make a water resoiar, with cooling fins.

Here is the power source, you can see that i melted the pipes, so tomorrow i will gas weld it with silver.
Power source.jpg
Power source.jpg (127.18 KiB) Viewed 8220 times
I made som gears so the generator is going faster,and here is a pick of that
gears.jpg
gears.jpg (136.48 KiB) Viewed 8220 times
Thanks again,i will be out of sled parts until wensday, so i think i am gonna build stirlings to my parts arrive.

The power source is driven by the exhaust,its driven by 2 pipes.
what you think?

I also have a crazy idea that i will charge a small AAA battery, that i will use to start a heat element, when i shut down the engine, so i can give some pulse electricity to, so i can try run the engine after the burner is out...."I have the heating element" it should be possible.sorry my bad english, it is a little hard with all these technical words,"i try to learn better English every day"

Regards:Lars from North-Norway 70 degres North
flash3780

Post by flash3780 »

Okay, I understand now. The electric water pump is driven by your peltier elements, which use the exhaust heat from your Stirling engine. That's really neat!

Regarding the batteries: How much heat does it take to run your engine? Maybe your burner produces 60 watts worth of heat? ...that may take a lot of power to reproduce that with an electric heater. I'm not sure, though. If you have a spare snowmobile battery, that may do the trick.

A little off-topic, but I'm working on an alpha-stirling engine. Here are a few of my sketches:
Rough sketch of engine
Double yoke, opposed piston design
Yoke mechanism animation

It's a work in progress... I'm trying to work my way through the thermodynamic calculations to size the engine for a given amount of power... I'd like to make a 1kW engine.

Anyhow, that was off topic... I'd really like to see how your water pump turns out. It's very neat. Thank you very much for posting!

Chris
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
39° 9' 42" N / 84° 27' 24" W
larsinist

Post by larsinist »

Nice drawings, you must be an engineer, wish i was!!
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Chris, I would recommend that you use ball races for the big ends, and either ball race, or as I did a needle roller bearing on the crank, this should simplify the lubrication of the bearings, and reduce friction.
You could make the crankcase from aluminium casting.
Ian S C
Triangle.Stirling

Post by Triangle.Stirling »

wow Lars, thats really amazing.

First ontopic: I really like what you build! You use al lot of skills. Are you probably in the plumbing business or so? All the solder and everything..

And wow, your snowmobile riding, that is just so cool!
I live in the Netherlands, and we don't have much winter here, but it's so cool to see you guys having fun with snowmobiles. The jumps are just really amazing.
I can imagine you break your snowmobiles fairly often. Have fun with it!
Sometimes, when i'll do a trip north, i definitely want to ride such a snowmobile!

Regards, (keep building, and stay safe :))

Krijn
larsinist

Post by larsinist »

Krijn good to hear from you again.

I am not in the plumbing business, i am only a self learned mechanic.i have worked on engines all my life.about my building, i have not had the time to do anythig, cause of my sled work.i shall soon be finished with the water-cooling system.now i been welding the front frame on my dear snowmobile cause it broke in last season.

About my last stirling, I am now working on the exhaust pipes, that wil feed the peletier elements with heat, it works better than i ever could imagine. I am out of solder silver for my gas welder,and i have build a aluminium small stirling that will work as a radiator fan, that runs on the exhaust after it has been warming up the peletier elements.

I also have made this engine in this mercedes, it only a 2 ltr 4 cylinder petrol engine.This engine is build in my own weird way, and what i belive in!
[video 425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbsYJryEDz8[/video] "sorry for offtopic" its a engine anyway--hehe

And thank you Krijn for those motivated words
Regards:Lars
Triangle.Stirling

Post by Triangle.Stirling »

Hi Lars,

I'll see when you have any progress, i'm curious for the end-result.
I'm currently going to rebuild my 2 cylinder stirling engine almost comletely, because i can use way better tools now, you'll read in my topic.

Regards,

Krijn
Offtopic: thats a fast mercedes!