How to seal a beta type engine? Need help!

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
kennethkye

How to seal a beta type engine? Need help!

Post by kennethkye »

Hi everyone,

I'm currently doing a project where I need to fabricate a beta type stirling engine with the power piston diameter of 20mm and length of 12mm. The power piston has a 4mm hole at the center that allows the displacer rod(4mm) to pass through it.

Do anyone of you know the methods to seal the power piston and also the displacer rod that passing through it? Thanks in advance!
somi

Re: How to seal a beta type engine? Need help!

Post by somi »

I'm not sure of the construction of the displacer, but it looks as though it is a metal tube, the main thing is that it must not rub on the inside of the cylinder. The rod must move freely through the gland, but have minimal leaks of air.
Are you worried about Quincy Universityexam prep and Pass4sure 1z0-591 Check out our latest resources for EMC and Cornell University questions for practice with definite guarantee training.
TheGermanDude

Post by TheGermanDude »

Hi,

try using a fine whire for the displacer connecting rod. so the hole in the working piston can be smaler.

The working piston must fit perfect in the working cylinder and have low friction. It must be created with high precision.

greetings
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

kennethkye, Ideally you would drill the gland say 3.5 mm, then bore it in the lathe with a little boring bar. Maybe more likely I would perhaps drill it to 4 mm, taking it in stages, drill 3 mm first. Then you will find that a 4 mm rod will not go through a 4 mm hole, If you look in my gallery you will see a tool makers reamer, and if you made the gland from brass, you can make a reamer like this from the same steel as the displacer rod. As you file the sloped bit on the end of the reamer, it will leave a little bur, leave that, as long as it is very small, pass the reamer through the hole, then try the rod, if it is too tight pass the file over the slope again and re-ream the hole.
I'v used a number of materials for these glands: PTFE/ Teflon. Brass, cast iron, and bronze.
Ian S C
reeta

Post by reeta »

im also going to use your ratios and totally rebuild the smaller engine after a trip to my favourite scrap metal merchants this coming weekend for some more brass
We offer up to date Braindumps exam practice questions with self paced test engine to help you pass Curry College exam and complete your ccent course VMWARE,you should also find ccnp wireless training for your complete task.