Trying to make an Andy Ross B20

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Ian S C

Re: Trying to make an Andy Ross B20

Post by Ian S C »

There is a plate that can be bolted on the side of the crankcase, this is fitted with a Schrader valve to allow pressurising, also a pressure gauge, but I have not fitted air seals on the crankshaft, so I have not run it under pressure.
Yes the heater can be moved, although that is the normal position, somewhere about 1/4 to 1/3 down from the top for power, a bit higher if running with out a load.
The generator in the lower photo is the 200V DC motor out of a "stick" type mixer, runs at abut 18V, got a better one now.
Ian S C
Test 009 (640x480).jpg
Test 009 (640x480).jpg (189.04 KiB) Viewed 3333 times
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Looks very good from the back and a clever idea using a hand held mixer as a generator and thanks for the info. The cooling tubes looks quite efficient. I have found on mine that I have a 15 Deg C difference from ambient and the hot input to the radiator. Seems as about 5 -10 above ambient seems pretty normal in the tropics.
You must try and pressurize Ian - I love to see your output with around 20 psi added.
Trev
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

It looks as though that might be my next project.
The radiator works quite well, but my best ones use the flat tubes from a car heater radiator, 16 tubes 100 mm long in two rows. Think I might try the one off the Ross Yoke motor on something else.
Ian S C