Stirling Engine driven vehicle

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Triangle.Stirling

Stirling Engine driven vehicle

Post by Triangle.Stirling »

Hi all,

I've been thinking lately, and i have some plans to combine a stirling engine with a little vehicle.
I'm interested in cars, and in stirling engines, so the combination between them has my interest.

My plan would be to make a small vehicle, suitable for one person <80 kg.
It doesn't have to reach high speeds, but of course that would be nice.

Big question is, what power do you need to drive such a vehicle?
On Youtube is a video about a stirling engine driven 'buggy' (http://youtu.be/qS5x91CZbtY) and you also can see some boats(http://youtu.be/pAaXmAsEGV4). Can't find what power these engines deliver.
Designing and building my own engine would ofcourse be the nicest option, but using an already available set of plans, to build a proven engine is also a possibility
For the engine i've been looking at the ST05 stirling engine, the plans are available, and it seems do-able to me to build one in the future.
Im currently starting my engineering study and can acces a full metal workshop.

I'm not planning on starting this project soon, but i'd like to think about it, and form a plan to eventually build this in the future. I'm aware it won't be cheap, and it will be a very long yourney, but it would be a very nice project, fun to do, and much to learn. Maybe i could try and do it for my study, final project or something.

Does anybody have plans, examples or other usable things about suitable engines, or similar attempts?
All information is very welcome, i look forward to hear from you !

Regards,

Krijn
Ian S C

Re: Stirling Engine driven vehicle

Post by Ian S C »

Krijn, I think you could get a small vehicle moving quite well with the ST-05 motor with it's 500 Watts, and it's possible (I think) to get even more power out of that motor. Enjoy your studies, best wishes.
Ian S C
Triangle.Stirling

Hi Ian,

Do you know something about for example the boats, how much power should I look for?
From what I understand the ST-05 can deliver more power, I thought other companies have done that before. Also a multiple cylinder engine would be nice.
If other people have idea's, i'd like to hear them.

Just started thinking about this lately, any help is welcome.

Regards,

Krijn
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Krijn, Andy Ross had a boat powered by a Stirling Engine out board motor of about 100 watts, he also had a bicycle powered by a similar motor.
In England there is a group of Stirling Engine builders who sail in their Stirling Engine powered boats on the river Thames.
Ian S C
Chriske

Post by Chriske »

Krijn,

I mailed Malcolm a while ago and he gave me some info/tips on this buggy.

-The engine in its present form has a free speed of over 1000RPM, and about 175 watts of power.
-I chose a beta engine because, with a rhombic mechanism it can be perfectly balanced; I don't like vibration.
-Starting was very slow; the engine today is more powerful than back in 2001, as it has a finned heater now. Then, it had a tubular heater, which gives less power.
-It has a cooling system--a car radiator with a small pump worked by the engine, pumping about 1 litre /min.
-The best advice I can give is to use a finned heater,( mine cost £750 to have cut, by wire erosion.) I use rulon piston rings and lip seal, for an oil-free engine. I had to machine these myself. It is tricky, and expensive to make a power-producing engine, but have a go, and the best of luck! They cannot be made from the scrap box; stainless steel is pricey, so is aluminium and rulon. It would cost around £1500- £1700 to build, I guess.
Also, look for 'wood burning engine' on google. All the best, Malcolm Rowney.
Mijn thuis is waar mijn draaibank staat...
Triangle.Stirling

Hi Chriske,

Thank you for your reply!

175 watts of power isn't that much, but when you ride a bicycle (wich is often in The Netherlands) you produce 100 watts of power, at a continuous speed of about 20 km/h
I understand that it is not cheap to make such an engine, but when i think it's worth it. When it is finished and working, it'll be so cool.
Besides, i plan to make it myself, with some help, so the costs will only be the materials.

Are you planning to build a big engine yourself? It seems so from the answer you got from Malcolm Rowney. I'll contact him myself for some more information.

Regards,

Krijn

P.S. If i remember correctly, you are a teacher in Belgium, is that right? What do you teach then?
eshall

Post by eshall »

very nice post
Guaranteed Testking 70-483 exam preparation with help of College of New Rochelle dumps questions and Pass4sure JUNIPER practice exam!