12V off grid electricity generation

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
rich

12V off grid electricity generation

Post by rich »

Anybody here trying to generate electricity from a redundant heat source? Interested to know your experienes.

Say for example, if you had something the size of a kyko with adaquate heating and cooling, would 100W be a ridiculous expectation?
Ian S C

Re: 12V off grid electricity generation

Post by Ian S C »

rich, a 100 watt motor unpressurised like the Kyko would be quite a large motor, it would be better that it was moderately pressurised, say 200 psi air, and a V type GAMMA motor, similar to the ST 05 (look it up), could be a little smaller than that, as it is designed to produce 500 watts. If you have Andy Ross's book "Making Stirling Engines", free down load, that will give you some idea what is possible.
Ian S C
rich

Post by rich »

Anybody tried a gravity fed coolant system? I have a river I could suck water out of, coil around the fins, and then let the pipe run off the top back into the river with the heat pushing the water up.

I guess this is only ever going to be of benefit if I run at high temperatures but just an idea... is it such a silly one?
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Even a fairly large motor doesn't need much of a flow of water, not a silly idea.
Ian S C
hassan321

Post by hassan321 »

I' ve been reading in this forum quit a while and i did watch some videos about stirling engines.
It looks very cool.
I build my first engine now. I hope you will like it.

It will be a beta type engine.
It is going to be made of metal cans.
I want it to run on a smal tea candle