lathe is purchased

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
larsinist

lathe is purchased

Post by larsinist »

I have bought a lathe it is this one Metalldreiebenk 550mm CJ9525/550 m/stativ i bought it in Norway, so i can have good support, so now i am looking for some metal that i can use for a stirling engine, i want to build a engine with about 60mm diameter, so where can i find a iron/steel pipe with that dimension?? hope some of you can give me a link!!

The mill will come to me in about 10days..it will be so nice..

i am thinking of a cylinder lenght on 180-190mm and about 60mm diameter, and 120mm piston lenght, that should be the some good measurments, what you think?
Ian S C

Re: lathe is purchased

Post by Ian S C »

Larsnist, good on you, you'll really be able to get some work done now. It might be worth making a smaller one for practice on the new lathe
larsinist

Post by larsinist »

oki ian i will take your advice,i will build a smaller one..what diameter do you recomend

Thanks for reply ian s c
i think the lathe will be here in 9days..and i am thinking to get the material ready to the mill enters my home

Regards:Lars
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

You could make one for example 30 mm bore x 20 mm stroke that would be quite powerful, and could drive a small generator(small DC electric motor).
Ian S C
larsinist

Post by larsinist »

oki, nice, then i will do that.then the cylinder should be 90mm long, and 30mm in diameter,and piston length should be 60mm,am i right??
Thanks for the advice, i will do so

Lars
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

If you build a BETTA, or ALPHA motor, I was thinking of a power piston of 30 mm x 20 mm stroke. If the displacer is the same bore, it's stroke would be in creased so that the swept volume is 1.5 times the power cylinder. The length of the displacer(the moving bit) should be about three times the diameter, in this case 90 mm, the cylinder must be this long + the stroke + an allowance at each end (maybe 1.5 mm each end. The power piston can have a skirt length some where between 20 mm and 30 mm, The longer the con rod the shorter the piston can be because there is less angular twisting. A shorter piston with a long con rod has less friction. Ian S C