Thermal conductivity units

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Aviator168

Thermal conductivity units

Post by Aviator168 »

Hi,
Just want to verify with you guys about the thermal conductivity unit of material. Is that correct that the unit is in watts per hour per degree on a one meter long material with a cross section of one meter square? If that is case, am I correct if the wall thinness is 1mm, I should multiple it by 1000? How do you also calculate heat transmitted if the cool end has a bigger area than the hot end?
Aviator168

Re: Thermal conductivity units

Post by Aviator168 »

Well. No one?
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Aviator168, Well. No one? Yep, think your about right there. All I know is that if for example you thin an area between the heated part of the hot cap, and the cold end, the rate of heat transfer is slowed, ie., there is resistance to conduction. It would be different for each metal.
Ian S C
Aviator168

Post by Aviator168 »

That's not what I was talking about. I was asking if my understanding of the unit of thermal conductivity was correct or not? I also ask how to calculate heat transfer from one end to an other if the areas of both ends are not the same.
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

I was sort of saying sorry have not got a clue. Each different metal has a different rate of thermal resistance, just like each metal has different electrical resistance.
Ian S C
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »