My first stirling engine, I need some help!

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
larsinist

Re: My first stirling engine, I need some help!

Post by larsinist »

oil these joints, sorry my bad engilsh now, i am tired,are you gonna give it a try today=?
stirling dude.jpg
stirling dude.jpg (226.91 KiB) Viewed 4742 times
Swifty-

Post by Swifty- »

larsinist wrote:oki, then you need to check resistance in your bearings,oil them and oil you rods, so they will run easy and then you clean you piston&cylinder with alcohol, so the oil is out of there, then it will start..if not,give it some more heat, and some ice cubes on the cold end, then we can work from there,i would like to see this start today

can you give it a try???
Lars
Yes, but not right now :) I'm off to bedZzzz, early bird tomorrow ;) Thanks for all the help though..This forum rocks :wink: I did think maybe there's not enough heat, it's only a small Inch and half round cup, with a very small wick, I think that could be the problem, I need a new wick?...I'll also bring home a blow lamp tomorrow, I wonna see this working too, I need to see my monies worth, all £1 of it :big smile:
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

swifty, might be worth disconnecting the con rod at the top(18), now pull the piston, and it should come out with a pop(maybe a little one), put it back in, and gently push it down, with any luck if you let go it might bounce up a little. If you use oil, use something very light, like sewing machine oil. When the motor is cold, it should do a few turns when the flywheel is flicked. The instructions say clockwise, but that depends where you are standing.
Ian S C
Swifty-

Post by Swifty- »

Hello
Been working hard :wink: I did manage to get a day off work today (phoned in sick) :devil:

Anyway, I re-read this thread again, just to make sure I didn't miss anything.....With a new wick, that I pulled up a lot more, it seemed the flame was localised more on one spot....Guess what? :big smile:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bniFjsuaQ0[/youtube]

A crappy Vid...But I had to share :big smile: A Big thanks go to those that helped me to get this running....THANK YOU!! :wink:
I have caught the Stirling bug though, I love these little engines...But sadly, I've not the time, nor tools, or even space, to make them, I so wish I could :cry: So, anyone can point me to a seller that makes and sell these, I don't need to rob a bank though ;evil;

Cheers....
Swifty
larsinist

Post by larsinist »

Fantastic, the machine sound nice, i would try to adjust the displacer rod, cause it heard like it knocked hard.
you dont need alot of tools to build a tin can stirling, they are easy to build, you only need some silicone, and some ballons, and small thing you have in your home.
I am building a brass engine now, bbut i will use some more weeks to make it finished, cause i need to make all my parts in my lathe..

Lars
Swifty-

Post by Swifty- »

Hello Lars :)
I might actually just try and build a coke can Stirling, the only thing stopping me right now is time , I work in retail, so it's pre Xmas rush...In the new year most probably :) Right now, I can't keep out of you tube some of these engines I'm looking at, are truly beautiful works of art...HaHa this £1.00 I spent, has opened up a new world, all for a quid :big smile:

Cheers..
Swifty
larsinist

Post by larsinist »

The coke can stirlings are alot of fun, here is the first coke can i build that made over 1000rpm, my record is about 1600rpm, but i have not recorded it, i stopped press for rpm,s cause i want to run a dynamo on them..
[video 425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lTIPzTQ-sE[/video]