Stirling Engine References

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
aurochs

Stirling Engine References

Post by aurochs »

Hello all! Just wondering, are there any online references or even books which discuss the operating principles behind stirling engines? I was assigned the topic as a final grad project, and I don't really know where to begin concerning engine design. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Administrator
Owner
Owner

Re: Stirling Engine References

Post by Administrator »

Aviator168

Post by Aviator168 »

Is this for high school? You can start from here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling_engine
aurochs

Post by aurochs »

Unfortunately, this is a thesis project for college and requires something a bit more upscale. The plan is to create something with a 5 hp generator output. I was hoping to read references that are a bit more technical and have more equations about stirling engine processes. I've been searching quite a bit online and have seen no such reference so far, and came here hoping that you guys would have some. :big smile:
Aviator168

Post by Aviator168 »

If this is an undergrad paper, this research reference contains a lot of information.
stirling engine assessment

Edit: more info here
http://www.robertstirlingengine.com/principles.php
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

aurochs, hope you are well funded, it ain't going to be cheap. You will need a well equipped machine shop, and welding, probably TIG for stainless steel, and aluminium. Your design may entail building using castings, or bar stock. Before you go too far, build a small motor if you have not done so in the past, this will give you an introduction to practical Sterling Engines.
Ian S C