Rider Ericsson Patterns or parts 8"?

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
pineobe

Rider Ericsson Patterns or parts 8"?

Post by pineobe »

I have decided to fix up my old Rider-Ericsson 8" engine. It is an early style and I have a broken piece, and two missing pieces. I am wondering if anyone on the forum is aware of any patterns or parts available. I am in need of the lower portion of the firebox for this engine which I don't mind having to cast if there is a pattern available. This "bottom end" with the firing door is trashed, but the top is great. I am also looking for a source for reproductions or suitable replacements for the pressure and vacuum "bells" that were sold with the engine on the pump side. These units look like those glass science flasks used in High School! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Brandon
Intrepid Wheelwoman

Re: Rider Ericsson Patterns or parts 8"?

Post by Intrepid Wheelwoman »

Hi, welcome to the forum :big smile: Do you have any photos on-line of your engine? I don't know anything about your engine or where to get parts, but I would certainly like to see what it looks like.
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Could you not weld up a new fire box from steel, that's what they would have done if modern welding had been available in the 19th century. The pump parts you might get from water pump supplier(they still make water pumps), tell them what its for, get the mechanic/engineer, or get to a vintage machinery club.

Ian S C
pineobe

Post by pineobe »

The two air chambers have been found! Lee R. Pedersen of New York has both sizes in stock from original patterns! As for the fire box, we will probably have to make up a steel one or fab up a pattern. I will get the engine back together as we had to take it apart to get it out of the original placement and try to post some pics.
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Good one, we would like a picture. Must put a pic of my mates Robinson in my gallery.
Ian S C
zeeshan00

Post by zeeshan00 »

Depends on the motor size, it can range from party balloons, rubber gloves, to fabric reinforced rubber, or corrugated metal.