cutting thin glass for cylindrs

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Bill-W

cutting thin glass for cylindrs

Post by Bill-W »

Hello,

Any good websites or pre existing threads or tips for cutting thin and thick glass cylinders for use in stirling engines ?

Have got some wine bottles to practice on and have also got some ornamental vases and knick knacks from op shop made of very thin glass - I completely destroyed the first one when I used $5 glass cutter and a gas flame on the scratch am reluctant to waste the rest of the thinner glass cylinders without getting a bit more expertise first.

I've seen a video of a single tiny scratch on a glass cylinder and then it was rotated on a turntable and heated and the cut was nice and smooth all the way around.

Also saw this method with hot and cold water https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFXngPx3w3M

And this method with a soldering irons https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZEE3tyDdoo

So ............ just keep on trying and practising ? Any other methods or hints or tips ?

Bill

Bill
Bill-W

Re: cutting thin glass for cylindrs

Post by Bill-W »

Hey,

This is a glass cutter by Jan Ridder who is probably known to most of you. Clever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfYj-sq78DU

I have persevered with the glass cutter and soldering iron and now have wine bottles under control and moving on to thinner glass now.
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

If you look up Chriske (he's one of us) and look for Stirling fist run, he describes in words and photos how he cut test tubes for his design of engine.
Ian S C
Bill-W

Post by Bill-W »

Thanks Ian,

I have sent Chriske an email - the photos and the explanation no longer exist in that thread.

I have got some diamond saw blades for my Dremel and will try them next.

Bill
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

I think if you follow Chriske you won't be far off, he's got/had/has a class of kids building Stirling Engines, I reckon he's tops.
Ian S C
Chriske

Post by Chriske »

'Had' it is Ian, retired a few months ago...

I use a diamond'saw' in a Dremel tool. I made a wooden bracket to fix the Dremel in my lathe's toolpost.
Insert the glasstube in the lathes chuck. The glass tube is protected using a thick piece of rubber. Very carefully close the lathes jaws.The trick is to close them not cracking the glasstube. While cutting I always use water to cool the glasstube.
I saw what Jan Ridders made and I'lm thinking of making about the same tool. It's far safer, no risk of breaking the tubes.
I will make me such a tool one of these days(using a 3D-printer).

Chris
Mijn thuis is waar mijn draaibank staat...
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Chris, Hi hope you are enjoying your retirement, if you are doing it properly, you should be wondering how you ever found time to go to work.
With the 3-D printer you'll be able to make some parts of a Stirling Engine, and if you decide to put one on rails again, you can make the wheels, and most the rest of the chassis.
Ian S C
Chriske

Post by Chriske »

Ian,

Take a look at this one. It was my last project in my school.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoTdqRT4QVg
One of the highlights was a set of two locs pulling 50(fifty) 3D-printed wagons. (50 anniversary of our school)
Funny detail. The little loc in front is not pulling of course, it is pushed by the two behind it.( not stirling powered, pity I know)
All other chassis, wheels are 3D-printed indeed...;-)) The little loc in front took be about 6 hours to print.

My two 3D-printers are one of my favorite 'machines' in my workshop nowadays.
I know, I know this is Off-topic but Ian started it.... :laugh:

On topic now :
Busy printing a stirling engine. All parts except for the cylinders are printed in PLA. Even the flywheel is printed.
But(almost done) this project is on hold for a few weeks because I'm busy printing a much larger project. But that would be off-topic again...

Chris
Mijn thuis is waar mijn draaibank staat...
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

3D printing in it's self is not OT there is a 3D printed motor in a resent thread, its got a marble type displacer, don't know if the marbles were printed.
Ian S C