can a gamma stirling engine have cylinders at 90 degree angl

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
stirlingengine123

can a gamma stirling engine have cylinders at 90 degree angl

Post by stirlingengine123 »

i know alpha stirling engines have their cylinders at 90 degree angles from each other but i was wondering if a gamma stirling engine can have the displacer cylinder and the power cylinder 90 degrees from each other. it would be easier to build this way because the crankshaft wouldnt need as much machining.
Aviator168

Re: can a gamma stirling engine have cylinders at 90 degree

Post by Aviator168 »

The degree does not matter. The important thing is the power piston lags the displacer bt 90 degrees
stirlingengine123

ok so does that mean a gamma stirling engine can be built like an alpha with the displacer and power piston 90 degrees from each other
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Certainly. And another advantage you didn't mention is that a 90 degree V can be almost perfectly balanced if you get the displacer and power-piston weights the same and then adjust the crank counterweights until it smooths out.

Bumpkin
stirlingengine123

cool im hoping to make 50 or 60 watt with this new engine i build maybe ill power it with solar
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

A 90* GAMMA motor is an ideal first motor, only one crank pin required, this is how I built my first motor. It's also easy to mount the power cylinder so that the angle can be adjusted to find the best power position. The adjustment can be made with a parallel motor simply by having one crank adjustable.
Ian S C