Rhombic drive calculations

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
JR_

Rhombic drive calculations

Post by JR_ »

Hello,

I want to design a rhombic drive for my beta sterling engine.

I've did a lot of research however am not able to find a clear approach on how to do the calculations.

Anyone who can help me?

With best regards,

JR
Ian S C

Re: Rhombic drive calculations

Post by Ian S C »

JR, no calculations, I'm in the process of building a rhombic, the ratios are the same as for any BETA motor 1.5 : 1, the displacer length3 x diameter. I found after I was just about finished that I had to reduce the diameter of the power piston to get the right displacement, as it happened I had a suitable piston, and just needed another cylinder liner(I'v now got a spare piston and cylinder). I'v got to seal the hot cap to it's flange, so it can be bolted to the cold end. And then I have to design a heater, it will be a gas burner.
Off topic, I,m sure it's possible to design an ALPHA motor in concentric form as in the BETA type. It would require a transfer port from the hot side of the hot piston to the cold space, this could be through a regenerator. At least this way both cylinders would be the same diameter. In that form the hot cap should be shorter than in the BETA motor, the Heylandt Crown on the hot piston would be only 1 to 1.5 x the diameter of the piston.
Ian S C
JR_

Post by JR_ »

Hello Ian,

I think I need to rephrase my question.I was referring to the calculations of the rhombic drive itself.

I found a nice article that describes how a rhombic drive works and how to calculate certain values: Article.
Rhombic drive overview.png
Rhombic drive overview.png (28.34 KiB) Viewed 6443 times
Rhombic drive - Base parameters.png
Rhombic drive - Base parameters.png (3.41 KiB) Viewed 6443 times
What calculations did you use to do the calculations of d1, d2, d3, d4 etc.. ?

Do you have equal values foe d1 and d2? and for d3 and d4? The base paramaters used in the article show minimal difference.

I think I'll use their base parameters as a starting point.

Regards,

JR.
tom-rock

Post by tom-rock »

Hi JR,

I used the original publication "The Philips Stirling Thermal Engine" of Roelf Jan Meijer (original invention and intensive analysis of the Rhombic Drive Mechanism)
which you can find free in the net.
If you search a bit you will find a lot in the net.
Also a good explanation is in the Book "Thermodynamics and Gas Dynamixs of the Stirling Cycle Engine" of Allan J Organ.

Greeetings

Ralf
zeeshan002

Post by zeeshan002 »

I used the original publication "The Philips Stirling Thermal Engine" of Roelf Jan Meijer (original invention and intensive analysis of the Rhombic Drive Mechanism)
Our excellent online cert killer training programs will 70-346 pdf lead you to success in the We also offer latest passguide and with 100% success guarantee. Our www.principiacollege.edu is rare in IT world.