500kw/5MW

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Cortemus

500kw/5MW

Post by Cortemus »

In the interest of the hypothetical in hopes of it becoming future reality. Is it possible for a large stirling engine produce enough torque and rpm's to power a 500kw/5MW generator- respectively?

Those are the two largest numbers legal to net meter back to the power company here so far as i understand it.
Ian S C

Re: 500kw/5MW

Post by Ian S C »

Cortemus, I suppose you know that 500kw = 670hp, with most Stirling Engine designs most people are happy to see 1kw for a reasonably powerful motor. It takes $$$$ per kw, and to get the power you want I think you will spend your winnings from Lotto fairly quickly. Sizes like 5MW you could just about set up your own power company. I think one of the main problems would be the fuel for heating.
Ian S C
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Of course it's _possible_ - though you might find it easiest to build a farm of smaller engines, or a single large engine with a large number of pistons.
Whether it is in anyway financially viable is a different story, but it seems highly unlikely.
Most people build Stirlings as a hobby, or to get a little 'free' energy from waste heat - given how long they have been around, it seems reasonable to assume that enough people have tried to make them commercial, but all of them have failed.
vamoose

Post by vamoose »