i'm depressed

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
johncarlo

i'm depressed

Post by johncarlo »

hello guys..i have a project in school which i need to submit before 2nd week of october this year 2015 and i am having trouble of making this alpha stirling engine.there's an air leak in both piston and i cant remove it. i think it isthe reason why my pistons are not pumping..we had spent so much money for this and i dont wantmy groupmates to get mad of me. whatdo you htink guys? will i change my stirling type?can you give me a design of stirling engine which is easy to build and can run a 5in diameter steel flywheel?please i cant think anymore what to do..plssss :( thank youfor reading this
Ian S C

Re: i'm depressed

Post by Ian S C »

Cheer up John, What sort of workshop and tools do you have?
Ian S C
johncarlo

Post by johncarlo »

i have aluminum tube and engineering plastic for piston rod..but the case is when the one side of alpha stirling piston is heated, this engineeringplastic piston expands resulting in poor movement of pistons.so we replaced it with wood piston..it is carved to nearly perfection but still air leaks at the cool side piston :(
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Does your school have a metal work shop? You will need steel for the hot cylinder, preferably stainless, and cast iron would be best for both pistons, it would be best to make the cold cylinder with the same steel. A lathe would be more than just useful.
Someone else may come on and tell you about tin can motors, or there are plans for one at the top of the index page.
An ALPHA motor is not recommended as a first.
Ian S C
Triangle.Stirling

Post by Triangle.Stirling »

Agree with Ian S C. You could look at Youtube. There are a lot of examples to stirlings that are easy to build.
It is always recommended to start with such a tin can engine. I also started with that, and it was difficult enough to get it to run.
After that you can move on to something more, which will be easier after you've learned from your tin can engine.
Good Luck!
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

I,m looking at building one of Myfordboy's hot air engines, I,v got the 200gm sweets tin, an old CD/DVD, rubber sheet for the diaphragm. I have not got the drawings (they are free), but I'll draw them up myself.
Look at the top of the index page, there are plans for an engine there, that would be worth a try.
Ian S C