Assisted LTD stirling idea ? ?

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Crazyguy

Assisted LTD stirling idea ? ?

Post by Crazyguy »

Idea
One LTD gamma running from solar drives the flywheel of a second LTD gamma stirling which acts in reverse as a heat pump to further cool one of the first engines surfaces, thus assisting the temperature differential of the first engine?
Work?
Ian S C

Re: Assisted LTD stirling idea ? ?

Post by Ian S C »

Theory yes, practice no, I think you would end up with about zero power out put, as (if) you can drive the cryocooler that will take all the power a LTD motor could produce. A motor designed to run on solar is not really an LTD motor, I,v run some of my high temp motors from solar, and managed on a good day to get more power from them than with the LPG burner. One motor, heated by a large freznel lens actually had a line etched across the hot cap by the heat of the sun through the lens.
Ian S C
Alfista

Martini's Stirling Cycle Amplifying Machine

Post by Alfista »

I agree with Ian.

But I would like to mention the brilliant Stirling engine designer William Martini built a device known as the Stirling Cycle Amplifying Machine (1968). It was a very succesful design where the displacer was run from a discreet power source. It is not the same as what you suggest Crazyguy but it is not very much different.
Ian S C

Re: Assisted LTD stirling idea ? ?

Post by Ian S C »

By driving the displacer with an electric motor you can regulate the speed of the motor, but my idea of a Stirling Engine is that it should be self contained.
Ian S C