Stirling Engines from Quality Junk

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Wellington

Stirling Engines from Quality Junk

Post by Wellington »

Hello All. Ive been looking into building stirling engines from junk. There are plenty of examples on the internet of how to build stirling engines from junk already and I imagine many undertaking such a project will quickly become curious like me on how they can improve apon their first engine. I was hoping for some tips on which common everyday "quality junk objects" can be used to make "quality junk" stirling engines which have more durability and horsepower than the average coca cola can creation. It would also be helpful to know which parts of a stirling engine are worth focusing on and improving to get a better performing and more durable engine (example: quality bearings)
.Wellington.
Ian S C

Re: Stirling Engines from Quality Junk

Post by Ian S C »

One thing I collect to get materials from is car shock absorbers, bit messy taking apart. VHS tape machines for small bearings(keep all the spare parts, little spindles etc). Depending on which part of the rock you live on, cast iron window weights. The extension tubes for vacuum cleaners, some are stainless, others chrome plated steel, both OK you don't need the aluminium or plastic ones. If you need ball races with 8 mm bore, skateboard replacement bearings are cheap, I used used ones, there was that much wear in them I thought the balls might fall out.
Ian S C
Wellington

Post by Wellington »

All good tips. thanks Ian.
Wellington

Post by Wellington »

what would you say is the maximum temperature and rpm a stirling can run at without the engineering getting too complex Ian? My idea was to make a vacuum solar heat pipe attached to a stirling and put some high surface area heat transfer fluid made from graphene particles in it (see youtube Robert Murray-Smith channel for heat pipe and graphene particle fluid tutorials) what methods are there for stirling speed control if the heat pipe got too hot?
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

By the colour of the steel displacer I would say that the temperature would be 600 / 700*C, I have had up to 2000rpm running free, but the normal (?) max speed is around 1000rpm, and best working speed seems to be 600 / 650rpm. My smallest motor will go to 2100rpm.
Ian S C
[img]
032 (640x480).jpg
032 (640x480).jpg (131.81 KiB) Viewed 4261 times
[/img]
Wellington

Post by Wellington »

which type and where can I buy large syringes I see everyone using to build stirling engines?
.Wellington.
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Glass syringes are mostly obsolete here in New Zealand, having been replaced about 50 years ago by plastic. Some medications will dissolve plastic, so special syringes with a glass capsule are use. They are still used in some countries.
The plastic syringe was first made in New Zealand.
Ian S C