Kouhoupt Horizontal Stirling Engine

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Alfista

Kouhoupt Horizontal Stirling Engine

Post by Alfista »

Here are some photos of my interpretation of a horizontal Stirling engine designed by Rudy Kouhoupt. It was really fun to build. It has a 1.125" bore and 1.5" stroke. When I first saw a photo of the engine, I liked the radiator ! The flywheel is the same kind as used on the PM Research nos. 4 & 6. The engine's design uses classic proportions. I added the cooling tower to my build and it also makes the water reservoir easy to fill and empty. The design allows for adjustment of the angle of the power crankpin in relation to the displacer throw.

You may notice the much larger Stirling engine in the background. I plan to show that engine in a future post.
Attachments
KouhouptHorizontal3_resized_1.jpg
KouhouptHorizontal3_resized_1.jpg (99.22 KiB) Viewed 3646 times
KouhouptHorizontal2_resized_1.jpg
KouhouptHorizontal2_resized_1.jpg (105.47 KiB) Viewed 3646 times
KouhouptHorizontal1_resized_1.jpg
KouhouptHorizontal1_resized_1.jpg (97.11 KiB) Viewed 3646 times
Wellington

Re: Kouhoupt Horizontal Stirling Engine

Post by Wellington »

Very Nice. How long did it take you to build it?
.Wellington.
Alfista

Post by Alfista »

Wellington,
this was my first Stirling engine and it took me a couple of months to build working at a leisurely pace. Except for the flywheel, I think that it could be built on a 3" lathe.
Wellington

Post by Wellington »

"You may notice the much larger Stirling engine in the background. I plan to show that engine in a future post."

a video link of your big engine running with watt output if it has a generator would be good.
.Wellington.
Alfista

Post by Alfista »

In case anyone is interested, Village Press publishes the book "Model Stirling Engines" by Rudy Kouhoupt. This is the second engine of three in this book. There is a complete set of drawings but it does not give any instructions for machining. If you are in search of such instruction, you may want to look at "The shop wisdom of Rudy Kouhoupt", vol. 2 by the same publisher. In that book, he gives excellent step by step instructions. Vol. 3 includes drawings and instructions for a Stirling powered tractor. I have no connection with the author or publisher, I am just a fan.