Stirling reverse cooling question

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Wellington

Stirling reverse cooling question

Post by Wellington »

Can anyone give a laymans explanation as to how to make a stirling engine produce a cooling effect. Thanks
.Wellington.
Ian S C

Re: Stirling reverse cooling question

Post by Ian S C »

Simple, attach a motor to the crankshaft of the Stirling Engine, and rotate it in the normal direction, at the (normal) cold end you need good cooling as this end gets quite hot. When I first built my Ross Yoke ALPHA motor, I drove that with a BETA motor of similar power out put, and after about 20 minutes, the temperature on the end of the hot cap was -20*C, the motor turning at around 600rpm, a more powerful motor to drive it faster would make for a lower temperature.
Instead of absorbing heat from a burner, it is taking heat from the air, and transferring it to the cold end of the motor.
Ian S C
Wellington

Post by Wellington »

Ian S C wrote:Simple, attach a motor to the crankshaft of the Stirling Engine, and rotate it in the normal direction, at the (normal) cold end you need good cooling as this end gets quite hot. When I first built my Ross Yoke ALPHA motor, I drove that with a BETA motor of similar power out put, and after about 20 minutes, the temperature on the end of the hot cap was -20*C, the motor turning at around 600rpm, a more powerful motor to drive it faster would make for a lower temperature.
Instead of absorbing heat from a burner, it is taking heat from the air, and transferring it to the cold end of the motor.
Ian S C
So can a second stirling engine turn the crankshaft of the first engine and create refrigeration?
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Yep!