Two pieces LTD displacer

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
mastrovetraio

Two pieces LTD displacer

Post by mastrovetraio »

I'm reinventing the wheel. In my poor design you see ONE displacer divided in two halves. The purpose is that you can use heavy materials, and go up with temperature . The divided displacer will not eat energy to the power cylinder. Maybe ??
Attachments
P_20160615_130250_1.jpg
P_20160615_130250_1.jpg (156.93 KiB) Viewed 5073 times
Ian S C

Re: Two pieces LTD displacer

Post by Ian S C »

I think I see your idea, but you would be better to use a one piece displacer, and add balance weights to the flywheel. In photos on the net you will see LTDs and tin can motor with washers, coins etc attached to the flywheel as balance weights. I think your idea could pose problems with heating and cooling.
Ian S C
DLantz

Post by DLantz »

So would the power piston be the double acting variety residing in a cylinder coupled to both engines?

Do you intend this to be two engines coupled mechanically with a rocker?
mastrovetraio

Post by mastrovetraio »

I image a single acting power cylinder, and the displacer/s activated by a servo mechanism. Maybe electromagnetic, or better a pendulum (Burnit0017 is a master of ) why I see the displacer not as a piston, but as a "switch" between hot/cold side. On the hot side I see molten lead, and I guess that with a minimum of flywheel (only for the power piston) is possible to reach higher rpm.. thank you for your patience, Ian S C :-)