Tesla's Heat Engine

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
aliisajoseph

Re: Tesla's Heat Engine

Post by aliisajoseph »

Any kind of energetic imbalance can be harnessed and transformed to power a mechanical or electrical system. This includes temperature imbalance. The example of Peltier modules makes this clear, as does the Sterling engine. The former converts difference in temp to potential difference; the latter to mechanical energy. Tesla's words to this effect seem far from outlandish. In fact, they sound like good common sense. R Programming Training | DataStage Training | SQL Training | SAS Training | Android Training | SharePoint Training

The question becomes even more intriguing when we look at Viktor Schauberger's work with vortexes and their exothermic properties. Hmmm. Maybe there's more to Tesla's words here than sheer musing.

Onward, I dare say, into the throng of discussion!!
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

Looks like a variation on the "Icy Ball" ammonia absorption refrigerator.

https://youtu.be/jA6UBKi13BY
Wellington wrote:
Tom Booth wrote:As some here may be aware I've previously posted about the possibility of a heat engine running on ambient heat. Tesla worked on building such an engine........ .

Take a look at Robert murray smiths video on youtube about a solid state stirling engine. might be of interest to you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oC36uV7O3k

regards

Wellington
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Sounds to me like you are talking about a variation on what is currently known as an "Air Source Heat Pump"
I can't say I understand it well enough though, to do the maths to check whether it is theoretically possible or not.
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

MikeB wrote:Sounds to me like you are talking about a variation on what is currently known as an "Air Source Heat Pump"
I can't say I understand it well enough though, to do the maths to check whether it is theoretically possible or not.
Well..

I think "air source" just refers to where the heat is being taken from, as opposed to "ground source" i.e. geothermal. otherwise just a heat pump.

I believe Tesla intended using the air itself as a "refrigerant". Which is actually quite possible but generally impractical and inefficient for conventional refrigeration. Inefficient, not because it doesn't work well but because it works TOO WELL producing such extreem cold it is mostly only practical for cryogenics. For domestic refrigeration it is necessary to add heat back to the cold produced by an air-cycle which just wastes a lot of energy.

For producing a temperature differential for a heat engine however... where both the heat produced and the cold can be utilized, the possibilities are intriguing.
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

This pdf describes air-cycle refrigeration.

http://www.grimsby.ac.uk/documents/frpe ... search.pdf