Pressurising Beta Stirling Engine

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
pk_rulz

Pressurising Beta Stirling Engine

Post by pk_rulz »

Hi

It seems that the design of Beta Engine from Rider-Ericsission company is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rider-Eri ... ne_Company is available.
It was close to 0.5hp of power.

Can someone shed some light on what was its efficiency and whether it can be pressurised to produce a more powerful engine ?

Is it a good starting point if one want to raise it to significant power levels running into few kWs of electricity
Ian S C

Re: Pressurising Beta Stirling Engine

Post by Ian S C »

The efficiency would have been about 5% / 10%, the real value comes in the low grade fuel, and compared to a steam engine the lack of a boiler, and it's certification and boiler man.
To pressurise a motor both sides of the piston are effected, the crankcase is pressurised, so the bell crank and connecting rods would make this design impractical as a pressurised as a pressurised machine. The simplest layout is the one often seen with a two throw crankshaft, with the displacer crank leading the power crank by 90*. The next most simple is a GAMMA, requiring only one crank pin, or an ALPHA motor of the same layout.
Ian S C
pk_rulz

Post by pk_rulz »

Thank you Ian. That was great help. As you would have know by now, I am a newbie not only to Stirling but machining in general.

Any recommendations for a published design which can be pressurised and later scaled other then the Viebech, I have some access to automated machining and can probably pull off something which most amateurs cannot so that wont be a limiting factor.

Also I could not understand "The simplest layout is the one often seen with a two throw crankshaft, with the displacer crank leading the power crank by 90*". Would you be kind enough to share a link/video showing that design.

Regards
PK
pk_rulz

Post by pk_rulz »

Ian

Did u mean something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUr6rsNgBU0
when you said "The simplest layout is the one often seen with a two throw crankshaft, with the displacer crank leading the power crank by 90*
Wellington

Post by Wellington »

Ian S C wrote: To pressurise a motor both sides of the piston are effected, the crankcase is pressurised, so the bell crank and connecting rods would make this design impractical as a pressurised as a pressurised machine. The simplest layout is the one often seen with a two throw crankshaft, with the displacer crank leading the power crank by 90*. The next most simple is a GAMMA, requiring only one crank pin, or an ALPHA motor of the same layout.
Ian S C
hello again Ian. Im not sure I understand what you wrote above. I'm currently looking at a twin v pump design. would you say a twin v pump design is a suitable design for pressurising if I enclose everything including crank shaft and the alternator like you once suggested?.

regards
Wellington
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

The GAMMA, and ALPHA mentioned above have the power cylinder mounted at right angles to the displacer cylinder in a V form.
Ian S C
pk_rulz

Post by pk_rulz »

So pretty much like the video I posted