hot Air Beam Engine with cooling and generator

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Trevor

hot Air Beam Engine with cooling and generator

Post by Trevor »

This is my first attempt at making a Beam Engine. This engine will be using the Watt linkage for the displacer.
The engine is based on a displacer of 74mm and a stroke of 38mm. The piston is 38mm and will have a stroke of 64mm being a ratio of approx. 2.5 to 1.
The water pump is driven by an air operated diaphragm from the displacer chamber, which has a diaphragm of 25mm and uses about 4cc of air which is calibrated as part of the piston volume
Here is a few pics of how I am going with so far. Trevor
Attachments
Water Jacket & Displacer.jpg
Water Jacket & Displacer.jpg (91.26 KiB) Viewed 7900 times
Water Jacket & Displacer Cylinder.jpg
Water Jacket & Displacer Cylinder.jpg (81.96 KiB) Viewed 7900 times
Top of Displacer Cylinder showing seal and Piston Connection.jpg
Top of Displacer Cylinder showing seal and Piston Connection.jpg (99.58 KiB) Viewed 7900 times
Top Altogether with Air Pump Fitted.jpg
Top Altogether with Air Pump Fitted.jpg (91.74 KiB) Viewed 7900 times
Here I used ordinary solder for the water Jacket and Displacer using a special flux for stainless to stainless.
Here I used ordinary solder for the water Jacket and Displacer using a special flux for stainless to stainless.
Soldering of Water Chamber to Displacer Cylinder.jpg (95.12 KiB) Viewed 7900 times
Piston Housing - Steel & Brass.jpg
Piston Housing - Steel & Brass.jpg (74.66 KiB) Viewed 7900 times
Piston Finished with Groves.jpg
Piston Finished with Groves.jpg (75.64 KiB) Viewed 7900 times
Diplacer as used from Last Engine 74mm Diameter.jpg
Diplacer as used from Last Engine 74mm Diameter.jpg (123.67 KiB) Viewed 7900 times
Assembly fitted to Base BOard Awaiting the Centre Post.jpg
Assembly fitted to Base BOard Awaiting the Centre Post.jpg (73.86 KiB) Viewed 7900 times
Air Diaphragm Water Pump.jpg
Air Diaphragm Water Pump.jpg (93.62 KiB) Viewed 7900 times
Ian S C

Re: hot Air Beam Engine with cooling and generator

Post by Ian S C »

Trevor, what will the motor be heated with?
Ian S C
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

I was going to go with gas Ian, but have changed my mind and now going with Meths burner.
Here is the latest pic of the fire box. I used investment powder to make the fire wall to retain the heat so it will not radiate outwards or downwards.
Trev
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

I have used investment powder to make the fire wall - All I need to do now is place the chimney to direct the heat away from the water Jacket.
Trev
Attachments
Making the heating chamber-2.jpg
Making the heating chamber-2.jpg (170.86 KiB) Viewed 7868 times
It took some effort to remove the bottle after it cured
It took some effort to remove the bottle after it cured
Making the heating chamber-1.jpg (115.96 KiB) Viewed 7868 times
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

I presume this investment powder, is something like fire clay, and is heat proof for lining a furnace, or kiln, it looks handy stuff. Make sure the meths burner has a good air inlet as well as a chimney. Here meths is about $NZ7 for 1L, one reason I use gas for most of my motors.
Ian S C
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Yep! The investment powder is for casting metal objects and will take around 1000 deg C. This will be the first time I have used it for this purpose. I don't know if it will work yet - It as we would say, Trial and Error Ian.
I buy the meths for around $6.00 for 5 litres here and you are correct - Expensive compared to gas - It just looks better using meths.

Another problem I had trialing the Beam apparatus (Watts Linkage). I have a 36 to 38mm length stroke for the displacer and used 35mm linkages for all the parallel bars (all equal length) but alas! It did not work. The high and low strokes caused tightness in the shaft. I gave up in the end and cut it all off and just use a single shaft for the displacer. Over the 4omm distance the movement off centre was only 1.5 mm - Not enough to worry about. I will send photo tomorrow for you. The length of the span is nearly 300mm so the are arc is large. Trevor
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Another pic of what I am doing. You notice the idea of using a Watt linkage failed on me, so I have reverted to just using a long displacer rod.
I managed to get the pulley fitted into the lathe by grinding away all the grove section and then only just fitted. At least it is now finished. The bearing block will be set into place and the cranks made. It is going to be a challenge as I will be using a double crank on the same axis. It will look wired but it will work. This is due to two different crank lengths.
Trev
Attachments
Reverted to the old way for displacer.jpg
Reverted to the old way for displacer.jpg (664.49 KiB) Viewed 7826 times
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Here's my beam engine, the bore is 3/8", and the stroke is 1/2", the hot cap is the steel case of an AA size NiCad battery.
Ian S C
[img]
031+(640x480).jpg
031+(640x480).jpg (127.94 KiB) Viewed 7815 times
[/img]
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Nice one Ian. Lovely little engine and love your lathe work. I am afraid am not very good with a lathe, but learning fast. Your thread and Thanh's thread helped me with the parting off work. I can now say I have accomplished it - You were right about the slow speed...Majic.

I have just run up my engine for the first time test. I must admit I was mightily impressed with its performance and couldn't stop the shaft from turning with my fingers - so here's hope that the little generator will work now.
The water pump was excellent in its performance as well and made no difference to the operation of the engine.

Yahoo! Ian - couple of photos to show how it is at present with only a small flame operating it.
Trevor
Attachments
The water at the end of its stroke - Happens every revolution
The water at the end of its stroke - Happens every revolution
First Run Test-4.jpg (600.6 KiB) Viewed 7801 times
Water from the diaphragm Pump just making its move out
Water from the diaphragm Pump just making its move out
First Run Test-3.jpg (63.13 KiB) Viewed 7801 times
Showing the small burner to start with
Showing the small burner to start with
First Run Test-2.jpg (75.65 KiB) Viewed 7801 times
The unit as it stands just a few moments ago
The unit as it stands just a few moments ago
First Run Test-1.jpg (116.62 KiB) Viewed 7801 times
thanh-cuibap

Post by thanh-cuibap »

Ian S C wrote:Here's my beam engine, the bore is 3/8", and the stroke is 1/2", the hot cap is the steel case of an AA size NiCad battery.
Ian S C
[img]
031+(640x480).jpg
[/img]
very nice !! profession ..Ian !!!
thanh-cuibap

Post by thanh-cuibap »

Trevor ...i want to see video , both of your engines !!
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

HI Thanh - Er! Don't know how to set up video on this forum or putting on Utube as yet. A few other friends of mine have asked the same question, however I will try over the Christmas break - Just for you
Trevor
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

I don't do video, I'm on dial up, and life is too short, well the computer shuts down before it completes the job.
The wee motor is made from stuff around the workshop, it's a great runner, and with a tiny flame will run up to 3000rpm, I'm sure that I could make a generator that would light at least one red LED for it.
Congrats on the motor running with the power that it does.
Ian S C
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

That's a good speed on that Ian. Have no idea how fast mine was going though as it started to shake all over the place (got to balance it somehow) Thanks Ian - Still got to do the hot box yet. Just got back from the shed after putting in the 3/4"holes (X2) for the exhaust - opposite each other and also putting on a lower lid to prevent heat loss downward. Dress the model up and paint.
You will get to see the finished product then Thanh.
Trevor
thanh-cuibap

Post by thanh-cuibap »

my stirling ..
[img]
Photo0049.jpg
Photo0049.jpg (294.45 KiB) Viewed 7792 times
Photo0048.jpg
Photo0048.jpg (299.98 KiB) Viewed 7792 times
[/img]