At Last The Completed Beam Engine Now Complete with Radiator

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Trevor

At Last The Completed Beam Engine Now Complete with Radiator

Post by Trevor »

I now have it all painted and the radiator fitted onto the bottom with a small fan.
It does not take much heat to get this model up and going with the total amps being .45A (450ma) at 3 volt = 1.35Watt
At ambient air temp of 32 Degrees C the engine stabilized at 45 Degrees C with the radiator making a big difference ie 45C into radiator and 34C out to the cooler.
I am quite satisfied with the results and another model ready for display - Trevor http://www.stirlingengineforum.com/post ... e=post&f=1#
Here are some pics of the finished model.
Attachments
IMG_9936.jpg
IMG_9936.jpg (52.16 KiB) Viewed 5541 times
IMG_9935.jpg
IMG_9935.jpg (73 KiB) Viewed 5541 times
IMG_9934.jpg
IMG_9934.jpg (59.25 KiB) Viewed 5541 times
IMG_9933.jpg
IMG_9933.jpg (56.59 KiB) Viewed 5541 times
IMG_9931.jpg
IMG_9931.jpg (68.39 KiB) Viewed 5541 times
IMG_9930.jpg
IMG_9930.jpg (79.99 KiB) Viewed 5541 times
thanh-cuibap

Re: At Last The Completed Beam Engine Now Complete with Radiator

Post by thanh-cuibap »

Hi Trevor !
I like it..... if you donate it to me..hehehehhehehehe ...very nice !!
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Trevor, that looks a pretty flash radiator you have there, and from what you say it works as well as it looks.
Ian S C
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Thanh - You can't have it heeheehee it's for me and me.
Ian the radiator is an oil cooler from a small motor bike. I think I will be using these in my next two models for display but may have to use them in an upright position. Time will tell. One last thing Ian I am going to try and make a replica of Robert Sterling's model that I have seen in Book No1 of James G. Rizzo, however, It will not be exact but a look alike as I am not good with wood work and certainly can't do castings.
Trev
cbstirling2

Post by cbstirling2 »

Very cool. What does the heat exchanger look like in the top of the displacer cylinder?

To make it more eco I wonder if you rotated the radiator and ducted the wind (a preheater) into a firebox to burn wood... I bet it would work well. Carbon neutral. Also it would use the exhaust heat to feed fire warmed air.

Here, I have below freezing temps to deal with but plenty of wood.
CBStirling2
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Hi CB
The top of the displacer cylinder is immersed in cooling liquid. The small square box you see on the top is the air/diaphragm pump which pumps the water through the radiator on the bottom. The water return is placed at the bottom of the tank.
I like your thinking re the air intake idea from a fire box. I am going to make Sterling engine for my pig as a gimmick when we have barbecue and it seems feasible to use the intake draw for the radiator. - GOOD IDEA -
Trev