Is anyone out there?

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Darryl Boyd

Is anyone out there?

Post by Darryl Boyd »

I hope this forum is able to pick up a bit... maybe everyone is too busy in the shop?

I have been working on my first tin can engine as time allows; and see this site as the perfect place to share the experience with other like minded folks.

So far I have the displacer cylinder, displacer and water jacket together, and mounted on a board. Next up was deciding on a power cylinder. I opted for a length of 3/4" copper tube and a turned aluminum piston. Finished the pistion last night and am very pleased with the results. With the tube pressed into the palm of my hand (to seal the end), the piston will slowly slide down to the bottom. It takes nearly 5 seconds for the piston to drop 1 3/4 inches. Pretty cool!

I am thinking about posting some pictures as I go, but wont be bothered if this site remains so quiet :sad:

Cheers[/i]
ToddW_00

Post by ToddW_00 »

I'll be keeping a lookout from time to time. I've been working on a model myself but its still just an animation on solidworks at this point. I'm in the collecting phase and it will take awhile as I'm not using cans. Except for the displacer pistion! I found using the larger tuna/chicken cans fit into a Coleman lantern globe very nicely!
stanhbaker

Re: Is anyone out there?

Post by stanhbaker »

springman wrote:I hope this forum is able to pick up a bit... maybe everyone is too busy in the shop?
I am thinking about posting some pictures as I go, but wont be bothered if this site remains so quiet :sad: Cheers[/i]
Every post by anyone increaces the activity of this site! :grin:

There are Stirling engine forums on line:
MSN has one.
Yahoo has two.
AmericanStirling.com has four, models, power, waste heat, & education.
This one makes 8 forums, each with a bit different focus but all Stirling! :eek:
s/Stan
Why be difficult?.. When with just a little application you can be absolutely difficult!
royuk

Post by royuk »

Power piston sounds good; I for one would like to see pics of you engine as you go.