Well I'll be damned!

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
ron parola

Well I'll be damned!

Post by ron parola »

My first try at a ltd Stirling, it started right up! I'm surprised although I did use a hot plate to get it going.... but at below low setting. It's now running in the garage which is around 60f above a 50 watt light bulb, maybe when broken in a 25 w bulb? A couple of things to note; the graphite piston in the air pot cylinder squeaks at times hopefully that will disappear and it you just TOUCH the glass the note changes man it distorts easily. There is a thump to it when the displacer is headed up and I THINK I can see the top bow, no the piston ISN'T hitting. I wondering it it is the air being displaced thumping it, it goes away at lower speeds, maybe I need more holes in the displacer.I'm using styrofoam with four 2.5 holes in it with a bit of copper window screen over and under each hole and aluminum, err steel wool for regenerator. And lastly when going fast if I bleed air out of the displacer it picks up a bit more, it's sucking air in and building too much compression?? All in all quite happy with the results.... hmm bigger yet cheers rp ps I TRIED to post a file, the video is mp4... not recognized and the pic is too large, will try to shrink it, you can't just reduce it in a motorola droid turbo 2 ya gotta download a program, what WERE they thinking!
Attachments
2232017154949.jpg
2232017154949.jpg (392.95 KiB) Viewed 6139 times
cbstirling2

Re: Well I'll be damned!

Post by cbstirling2 »

Very good!
CBStirling2
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Good looking motor Ron.
Ian S C
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Nice work Ron - Excellent
I have yet to use an Airpot, but working on it.
Trev
cbstirling2

Post by cbstirling2 »

What are the dimensions? And I noticed that your piston has a much thicker amount of graphite and mine does. How did you connect your connecting rod to your piston?
CBStirling2
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Can you get it going while it sits on a bowl of boiling water?