I have tried multiple times and can not build a soda can sterling engine :-(

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
DrJekyll

I have tried multiple times and can not build a soda can sterling engine :-(

Post by DrJekyll »

I bought Jim Larsens book and bought all the supplies I needed. I also have seen his series (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsPHntNMjGA)

I can not get it to work. I am not sure, but I believe my main issue is bending the crank shaft correctly at the correct distance from the center of the coke can with the right amount of space to reach the glued PVC center where the ballon is... and then bending it so it fits a cd in the exact center. If I mess up the center cd part then the whole wire is worthless and I have to restart from a new straight piece. His book instructions are not great. I find it difficult to know the exact distance the two bends need to be apart for a regular coke can with my PVC piece, and find it very hard to bend the wire in a circle that manages to be in the exact center of the cd. I have tried more then five times, and find it frustrating that some how I can not build an "Easy" soda can sterling engine meant for middle school science fair projects lol I have spent more money rebuying supplies, re-reading and re viewing his videos, and have spent at least a month trying. I am lost as to how I can not make this happen if it is apparently "easy". I feel dumb. I am starting to think it is easier to use a machine shop and build a "real" model then using a can and wire, since I can get a crankshaft made at a perfect distance in one go.
Ian S C

Re: I have tried multiple times and can not build a soda can sterling engine :-(

Post by Ian S C »

To get the dimensions right, all you need is a rule, it doesn't matter if it is in inches or mm, but that is just following the book and video easy enough. more important is getting the motor to turn with minimum friction, most important. Next, to have minimum air leaks, the trickiest one will be where the displacer rod exits the displacer cylinder. If the displacer is a hollow cylinder, it must be free of air leaks, if of steel wool, it should not rub on the inside of the cylinder.
If all else fails, go to the top of the index page and have a look at Boydhouse's free plans.
Ian S C
thanh-cuibap

Re: I have tried multiple times and can not build a soda can sterling engine :-(

Post by thanh-cuibap »

Hi .
You should check out everything Ian said
And you should check this position, it requires airtight and the shaft must move smoothly, It requires a fairly straight shaft, and the hole fits snugly
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (60.5 KiB) Viewed 4397 times
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Another thing is getting the diaphragm right, not too tight, not too loose.
Ian S C