Soda Can Stirling Engine Help/Troubleshooting

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
GeorgesGrandson

Soda Can Stirling Engine Help/Troubleshooting

Post by GeorgesGrandson »

Hi everyone :smile: over the past week I have been building my first Stirling engine using this design: https://sites.google.com/site/reukpower ... ing-engine

My problem appears to be pressure related. My balloon doesn't seem to bulge at all. I thought it was a pressure leak, but I've submerged the device in hot water and didn't see any air bubbles come out, or water inside the can. In regards to the hole for the displacer's fishing line, if I pull up on the balloon without the connecting rods attached, it'll take about 3 - 4 seconds before the balloon settles back down to its resting position.

If I were to put the engine over a flame without the connecting rods attached, should I expect the balloon to inflate and bulge? If it doesn't, is it likely a balloon tension issue or something else?

Any advice would be appreciated. :mrgreen:

Thanks so much!
GeorgesGrandson

Re: Soda Can Stirling Engine Help/Troubleshooting

Post by GeorgesGrandson »

Hey everyone, sorry to bump the thread but I've got my engine running! :mrgreen:

I made two changes. First, I shortened up my pressure vessel by about half an inch. Then, I made a new crank shaft with smaller cranks (approximately 2mm).

Now it runs!
thanh-cuibap

Re: Soda Can Stirling Engine Help/Troubleshooting

Post by thanh-cuibap »

congratulations !