Design and Manufacture of Beta Stirling

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Lucas251299

Design and Manufacture of Beta Stirling

Post by Lucas251299 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:21 pm

Hi everybody,

i'm designing a beta stirling engine at school for my last year project, which will work with 600°C at the hot end. I've got some questions about the design rules. Hope you can help me !!

1. I've found this information in one of the posts:

" i. length of displacer chamber L = 3 times its diameter.
ii. length of heater chamber = 2/3L
iii. length of cooler = 1/3L
iv. swept volume of displacer = 1.5 times swept volume of piston cylinder.
v. length of displacer = 2/3L and stroke = 1/3L. "

So if you solve this equations, they stand that the length of the displacer should be 2 times the diameter, while I've read several times that it should be three times its diameter. A longer displacer would transfer less heat between the cold and hot side but it would also be heavier. So which relation should i go for to get more power ?
It also says that the displacer stroke should be 1/3L (that equals the diameter), and if I design the power piston with the square stroke that is usually recommended, the volume ratio wouldn´t be 1:1,5.

2. Which would be the diameter of the displacer rod for a displacer diameter of 59mm ? Or how can I calculate it ?

3. Does it change much of my efficiency if I use just the annular gap between the displacer and the cylinder as the regenerator (instead of using tubes coming from the hot end cap) ? How much big should be that gap for my 60mm diameter cilynder ? Should I stuff that volume with something ?

4. I'm planning to use a selfmade gas burner as the heat source. How big should be the gap between the heater chamber and the burner ?

That's all for now, I hope you can answer them (even though my english isn't very good). I've seen great projects in this forum and I wish you could give me some of your wisdom. Next week I'm starting the CAD's Design so I will probably share them to help other people that is interested.

Thanks in advance,

Lucas.

Ian S C

Re: Design and Manufacture of Beta Stirling

Post by Ian S C » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:40 am

Lukas, that's a big motor with 60 mm dia hot cap, my biggest is about 55 mm, but I usually go to 30 mm to 40 mm(its cheaper). If you are going to make a ring/donut style burner, the gap is probably between15 mm and 20 mm, mine are built from what ever material I can find, most of my burners have three rows of twelve holes 1.5 mm dia each.
Have you built a smaller motor in the past, I'm sure that a small motor that works well would impress your tutor more than a big one that wont be that much more powerful. Below is my second motor built in 1994, and based on James G. Rizzo's Dyna, it has a 1 3/4"/43 mm bore, the power piston has a stroke of 3/4"/20 mm, the displacer stroke is 1 3/16"/30 mm. This motor produces about 5 Watts of power at the crankshaft, and will rev up to 1500rpm, and the best power under load is about half that speed.
Ian S C
[img]
Test 005 (640x480).jpg
Test 005 (640x480).jpg (249.99 KiB) Viewed 464 times
[/img]

Lucas251299

Post by Lucas251299 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:45 am

Hi Ian, thank you for your reply. My tutor insisted on using the materials that we had on the workshop so we finally designed the motor with a 60mm bore. We had doubts about where should the strokes of the power piston and the displacer start and end.

Power Piston Stroke 50mm
Displacer Stroke 75mm
Displacer Length 150mm (approx 2.5 times its diameter)

Strokes.jpeg
Strokes.jpeg (65.71 KiB) Viewed 47 times
This is how I placed the power piston and the displacer inside the cylinder. Both are on their BDC (bottom dead center) in order to understand it better.
Do you think that this is ok or should I modify their positions?

Trevor

Post by Trevor » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:22 pm

Hi Lucas
Personally I would like to see more cooling area - approx 25% towards the heater end.
The rest looks OK - Should be a powerful engine when finished.
Regards Trev

Ian S C

Post by Ian S C » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:43 am

The cooling system on a Stirling Engine is possibly more important than the heating, that's why most of my motors are water cooled, even one of my small ones has water in a hopper. That motor has a power piston of 5/8" diameter and a stroke of 1/2". the displacer is 5/8" bore by 3/4" stroke.
Ian S C
Attachments
Test 014 (640x480).jpg
Test 014 (640x480).jpg (236.04 KiB) Viewed 28 times