so many falures

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
MrBlack

so many falures

Post by MrBlack »

Do any of these engines ever run iv pieced together 6 over the past 2 months in my spare time and none of them run / ran maybe i need a new addiction with a few more rewards. im tempted to buy one just to see it run.
oh well life goes on . did every one strugle like this or did most run on first attempt?
Administrator
Owner
Owner

Post by Administrator »

Yes they do run.

I'd say most of them run the first time. Maybe 20% have some sort of problem the first time out. :sad: If it is the walking beam engine, most people email me and get help. But we get them running after a few runs.

I wouldn't put up the webpage if the engine didn't run. As I don't make any income from this engine (not even sponcers) it wouldn't make sence.

I've built most of the simple stirlings out there and I only had problems adjusting the "rocking test tube one. I don't know why.

Just have to take your time and get it right. Leaks or big gaps are the big problem.

If you go to the website (at the top of this page has a link), you can see many of the walking beam engines running in videos.

Darryl Boyd
theropod

Discouraged

Post by theropod »

Hi,

Sorry to read of your discouragement. I too failed to get the walking beam model to run on my first 4 attempts. First it was the displacer gland not smooth, and then it was the displacer rod lift point binding, then I discovered my flywheel was too small diameter wise and then the power piston was binding and not sealing well. So I basically rebuilt this engine 4 times before I got it to run. I've modified it at least 3 times since then and it runs better with each interation.

I'm a subborn type and refused to accept that I couldn't get the darned thing to run. Don't give up! Give yourself a few days to let the frustration level subside and try NOT to think about the engine too much and then examine the various issues that are leading to your failures. Again I feel these failures can teach us much more than slamming the parts together and seeing 800 RPM from a candle.

Hang in there and I'm sure those contributors with more experience and knowledge will offer invalueable advice in getting the little beast to rotate. All I can do is comment as to what I've done, but I'm willing to help as much as I can.

Can you provide us with pictures and or more details about your engine?

Roger
7 years off-grid and loving it!
MrBlack

Post by MrBlack »

I know the engines run and love the web site, alot of great folks here im glad this forum is here for me.

I did alot of reading pryor to coming acrossed the walking beam can engines and perhaps some of my problems have come ffrom a formula of displacer piston 66% the size of the displacer cylinder.

ive decided I will build this bugger as close to the letter of the plans with a half size piston and see if I have any luck. Thanks for the input so far gang.

Thanks
Mr Black
theropod

Displacer

Post by theropod »

Mr. Black,

AH HA!

I think you have may have made your psiton the wrong length. The displacer piston in the walking beam, and most other Stirlings, should be 33% the length of the displacer cylinder. Maybe a little less if the displacer cylinder has concave ends.

Look closely at the following animation (51K) in the link below, it's how an engine would look through a strobe every 45° as it rotates with xray vision.

http://www.gobblerguns.com/roger/images/wbmovie.gif

Hope this helps,
Roger
7 years off-grid and loving it!
royuk

Running

Post by royuk »

I've a few running engines on my site. Some visitors have sent in and some I've made. You can also see how they have be made. Hope it helps

www.royuk.co.uk

roy
If you are not part of the solution; you are part of the problem.
MrBlack

Thanks

Post by MrBlack »

Thank you all for all the help and support i styill havent got one to run but my tinkering time is so limited that its gard to get to it most days. I think i will get some time 3 weekends from now to maybe be able to tinker again :).

Thanks again
Mr Black