new alpha engine idea very different reabsorber

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
nabardwell

new alpha engine idea very different reabsorber

Post by nabardwell »

My goal is to produce an appropriaite tecchnology sterling engine that can be run off of a solar thermal or a concentrated sollar array using a maximum temperature differential of 200F-20F I may build an absorption refrigeration system for my cold cillinder.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... 72288346a5

The biggest difference is that im going to be using the Ranque-Hilsch effect to sepperate the air stream into hot and cold.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_tube
I plan on using 55 gallon drums for the cylinders and 25g plastic ones for the pistons witch will be weighted to have a neutral boyancy I'm not sure if I should even have a reabsorbed it might need to be shaped differently to absorb the cold and hot air streams. Not sure what the connecting rods of fly wheel are going to be made out of. Please any advise would be greatly appreciated especially regarding the utilization of the Ranque-Hilsch effect.[/img]
Henrik

Post by Henrik »

I cant see your pictures at Myspace. Seems that something is missing.

Im not sure that your idea using a vortex tube will do any good. You will get a big temperatur differens but im certain that the energy lose due decompressing the air will take away any benefit..
eatemalive

Post by eatemalive »

Very interesting quick read on the vortex tube. I'm rather new to this and it's the first I've heard about it. The myspace link redirects you to the main page and prompts for a login. Perhaps if it's all pitures you want us to see you could use www.allyoucanupload.com for free or something similar so we can see it
nabardwell

Post by nabardwell »

try this link
Cartech

Post by Cartech »

I have seen a simular design using coffee cans inverted in liquid (one hot, one cold) and running a crank shaft. There was a tube between the two "tanks" that rise above the liquid level underneath each piston. If the connecting rods have a sort of gide there is no need to seal the piston walls to anything. Done on a large scale I think it might work.