New User/to Fourm/to Building/Lamina Engine Questions

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
tscorpio

New User/to Fourm/to Building/Lamina Engine Questions

Post by tscorpio »

Hello
This is my first post!! I stumbled onto Stirling Engines about 6 months ago and totally fell in love with them!!
Since then I have been reading & researching all different kinds and decided I would like to build a Lamina engine as my first one.
The thing is, finding parts is proving to be VERY difficult. I don't have a lathe or any way to machine parts, but I DO have drills and stuff. (Plus access to several hardware parts & hobby stores)
I've found test tubes and various plumbing parts that looks like they *should* work, but other parts like the piston, rod and fly wheel I'm totally lost about.
Anybody got avice for a first time builder?

Thanks!
Cartech

Post by Cartech »

Welcome to the forum,

Finding parts at reasonable cost and high quality is a challenge but I can point you in the right direction for what your looking for.

Look here for prefab flywheels; http://www.pmresearchinc.com/store/home.php?cat=34

This place has graphite/glass cylinder sets that you can't beat for a Stirling: http://www.airpot.com/

You can find small copper, aluminum and brass rods and tubing at your local hobby shop and hardware stores. I recommend the hobby store for small bearings, ask for R/C car wheel bearings, a 4x8mm is common and cheap. I use them for the rod bearings. Take off the seals with a pin and wash the grease out with brake clean or solvent. Skateboard wheel bearings make good crank bearings, do the same with the seals.

Good luck.
tscorpio

Post by tscorpio »

Thank you for the link to the flywheels!!! That has been a particular challange to find!

I did call the airpot people about their free samples, but they said they don't give samples of their piston/glass cylendar sets. I didn't know what else would work so I didn't get anything :(
What would you guys suggest?

I've been looking through the local hardware stores and cane to the same conclusion as you: With all the copper plumbing peices it should go a loooonnng way towards making something!