Building a small alternator

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Cartech

Building a small alternator

Post by Cartech »

I just finished adding an alternator to one of my engines. I made a stator plate with two coils made from 12v automotive relays, a couple 3/16 X 1/4" neodymium magnet cylinders and two 1.8v LED's. Just wire the coils in series to the LED's (LED's parallel but opposite polarity to each other) Put both magnets on flywheel with the same polarities toward the coils. Mount coils opposite (180) from each other. I have pictures that will make this make more sense here.. http://nevadasteve.tripod.com/whatsstev ... s/id1.html
EL34

Post by EL34 »

Cool stuff.

Nice machining!
RichD

Post by RichD »

Pretty funny how the wife wasn't impressed...probably painting the kitchen would buy you more of an impression.

Ha! Ha!

Why can't we just play and tinker around all the time? It all sounds so familiar.

Just the other day I engraved a really detailed Eagle in a piece of scrap wood all proud of myself. Took it upstairs showed the wife she thought it was really professional looking. Next morning she says...you want to take this thing downstairs. Ouch! ... Oh well.

That is a real nice job on the engines you made.
Rich DeMartile
Cartech

Post by Cartech »

Thanks RichD, I like my engines to be different. I've seen some amazing brass works on the web that show very high maching skills and creativity. I'm happy with mine considering I only have a drill press and basic hand-metal working tools. I hope to add a lathe to my tools eventually. A small 3 in 1 would be nice as well.
Deferr

Re: Building a small alternator

Post by Deferr »

I am very impressed with the ingenuity of the hinged angle displacer. Next engine it would be great if we could all see in-progress pictures. It's always nice to see how others go about making things. Great work.