Alpha stirling design and creation

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
danny0291

Alpha stirling design and creation

Post by danny0291 »

Hi, I am currently an engineering student and I'm working on designing and building an alpha configuration stirling engine as a class project. I am still just doing a little initial research on the engine but I had a couple questions. Firstly, is it important to have a heating and cooling space in addition to the expansion/compression spaces within the cylinders (why not just heat/cool the cylinders themselves). I intend to have the engine run off the heat from an alcohol burner and be air-cooled aided by heat fins. I have included a model of the general setup which I had been considering (this is a very rough model and will need to be remade/finished), any guidance would be appreciated:

Also, I have found many websites detailing stirling engines but very few outlining specifics, are there any online sources or books that you would recommend as a good starting point for performing stirling cycle calculations? Thanks.
ABEC1971

Post by ABEC1971 »

This question had not so long ago been addressed in a different thread. If you scroll down the topic list to a thread from December 2007 entitled "Suggested Readings?" you will find a number of recommended books. Hope this helps, best of luck.
rammstein

Post by rammstein »

I suggest besides reading books to make a simple walking beam.
The hardware can be bought by local hardware stores and supermarket for not to much money and the details are on the internet.
Changes are very quick to adjust your engine with your wildest ideas.
It helped me to overcome and understand the problems with LTD stirlings and get a feel for dimensions, friction, leaks, materials and speed.
I`m learning here !