New guy with questions

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Heckman

New guy with questions

Post by Heckman »

Hello everyone ,

I am very glad to find this forum. I have had an interest in stirling engines every since I learned what they were.. An engine that runs off temperature differences is simply amazing...

Anyway I tryed to build a crude can stirling engine a few years ago but couldnt get it to work... very frustrating. I'm guessing friction problems after reading this forum. Now that I have found somewhere that can provide help if needed I'm going to build another one. Another stirling I mean not another non working stirling :grin:

I think that I am going to try the jb weld piston simply because my machine shop (back porch) is somewhat lacking in tools.

Anyhow I was wondering if anyone has every tried mixing graphite powder with jb weld?? The kind that is mixed with epoxy as a filler to reduce friction?

Also what about the spray on graphite that dries into a solid lubricant?
Cartech

Post by Cartech »

Welcome to the forum Heckman,

Your probably right about your first non-working engine. Friction is the number one enemy followed closely by exessive leaks.

I mentioned mixing graphite with the epoxy long ago and got discouraging feedback? I never tried it but I thought it would be a good idea for those using epoxy pistons. Maybe you could lightly sprinkle it on the light grease coating before you add the epoxy? I'd say either way, give it a try.
Heckman

Post by Heckman »

I think that I will get some and try it. Do you remember if the feedback was discouraging due to friction reasons or did it weaken the epoxy?

The light sprinkle idea seems great. I'll try that as well.
Cartech

Post by Cartech »

If I remember right, the thought was that the epoxy would be contaminated and not set right? I would still be willing to experiment with it if I was going to make one that way. I've been using Airpots piston products in mine and I used a nylon spacer in a brass fitting on my first one (it worked) I know the epoxy works too from the postings here. It sure seems to me that graphite in the mix would be a good idea. Let us know how it turns out.