Beginner Help

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
CanadaPhysics

Beginner Help

Post by CanadaPhysics »

I have built a Stirling engine to the same specs as are in the instructions on http://boydhouse.com/stirling/ except I increased the size of the power cylinder to 1 1/4" instead of 1". I am getting no pressure in the power cylinder at all when I heat it up. Is this increase in size of the power cylinder enough to stop it from pushing the power piston at all (even when not connected to the flywheel)? Thanks for any replies.
wbr62

Post by wbr62 »

hi there,
welcome to the forum.
it should work.the problem could be either leaks or to much froction.
check for leaks first(by a solution of washing up liquid?)
if this is ok it must be too tight somewhere.
place piston at bottom dead centre disconnect both con rods and fire it up,the piston should move out when the air in the displacer expands.
if not the piston is too tight.
with the piston removed connect the displacer con rod and spin the flywheel by hand iit should revolve freely if it seems to bind the problem is in the seal at the at top of the displacer.
if this is ok repeat with the power piston.
hope this helps
CanadaPhysics

Post by CanadaPhysics »

I have started trying these things (I am still working on testing the power piston) but after reading several of the other topics I am starting to wonder if the displacer piston is to large and there is not enough expanding air to make the piston move. I am going to make a shorter displacer piston and try that as well.